* [9fans] Fwd: Call for Papers: LASER 2012—Learning from Authoritative Security Experiment Results
       [not found] <CAGWc-=72pEbfCKsdOuJuriyeNNPcfQnn+Wq2YvW9q0sjEk4a9Q@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2012-01-11  6:19 ` ron minnich
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: ron minnich @ 2012-01-11  6:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

This is kind of a fun one: stuff that DID NOT work. I like the basic idea

ron

From: tlaronde @ 2012-01-11  8:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Tue, Jan 10, 2012 at 10:19:36PM -0800, ron minnich wrote:
> This is kind of a fun one: stuff that DID NOT work. I like the basic idea

I generally learn more from what I do wrong than from what I do right---
sometimes because when "it works", it is not absolutely for the reasons
I had explicitely in view... so the lesson is less than zero.

And there is the classical joke about the experiment on a flea:

Researcher tells the flea: "jump!"---and the flea jumps.
He cuts one leg. "Jump!"---and the flea, with more difficulty, jumps.
He cuts another leg. "Jump!"---after some time and great efforts, it
jumps.
He cuts one more. "Jump!"---and the flea doesn't jump.

Scientific conclusion: when one cuts legs to a flea, it becomes deaf.
                      http://www.kergis.com/

* Re: [9fans] Fwd: Call for Papers: LASER 2012—Learning from Authoritative Security Experiment Results
@ 2012-01-11  9:08   ` Bruce Ellis
From: Bruce Ellis @ 2012-01-11  9:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Can I get away with designing something at the pub which I know is flawed
and then writing it up?

Are you sure this isn't from The Onion?

On 11 January 2012 17:19, ron minnich <rminnich@gmail.com> wrote:

> This is kind of a fun one: stuff that DID NOT work. I like the basic idea
>
> ron
> --

brucee

Don't meddle in the mouth -- MVS (0416935147, +1-513-3BRUCEE)

* Re: [9fans] Fwd: Call for Papers: LASER 2012—Learning from Authoritative Security Experiment Results
@ 2012-01-11 13:27   ` Wes Kussmaul
From: Wes Kussmaul @ 2012-01-11 13:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Tue, 2012-01-10 at 22:19 -0800, ron minnich wrote:
> This is kind of a fun one: stuff that DID NOT work. I like the basic
> idea ...

>  “failures” may actually provide clues to even more significant
> results than the original experimenter had intended. The research is
> useful, even though the results are unexpected.

When Mario Salvadori gave his grandmother a copy of his new book, _Why
Buildings Stand Up_, she thanked him and said "but I'd much rather know
why buildings fall down."

That remark was the catalyst for his next book, _Why Buildings Fall
Down_.