* [9fans] common number of interrups/sec
@ 2010-03-08 16:04 Rudolf Sykora
From: Rudolf Sykora @ 2010-03-08 16:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Hello,

my system is doing practically nothing. All 'stats' graphs are low
with the exception of 'i'. I'm having like 1600 interrups per second
(so I see a number instead of just the graph). Is this normal? How can
I tell what those interrupts are?

Thanks
Ruda

* Re: [9fans] common number of interrups/sec
@ 2010-03-08 16:21 ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2010-03-08 16:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> my system is doing practically nothing. All 'stats' graphs are low
> with the exception of 'i'. I'm having like 1600 interrups per second
> (so I see a number instead of just the graph). Is this normal? How can
> I tell what those interrupts are?

if you are running 9atom, /dev/irqalloc 3rd column is the number
of interrupts for that interrupt entry.  note that if two irq handlers
are chained off the same vector, an interrupt for either will increment
both of their total counts.  this is just a hardware limitation.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] common number of interrups/sec
@ 2010-03-08 16:27 ` ron minnich
From: ron minnich @ 2010-03-08 16:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Mon, Mar 8, 2010 at 8:04 AM, Rudolf Sykora <rudolf.sykora@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> my system is doing practically nothing. All 'stats' graphs are low
> with the exception of 'i'. I'm having like 1600 interrups per second
> (so I see a number instead of just the graph). Is this normal? How can
> I tell what those interrupts are?

This sounds like what I had with venti.

What does venti print when it starts up?

ron

* Re: [9fans] common number of interrups/sec
@ 2010-03-08 16:38   ` Rudolf Sykora
From: Rudolf Sykora @ 2010-03-08 16:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 8 March 2010 17:21, erik quanstrom <quanstro@labs.coraid.com> wrote:
>> my system is doing practically nothing. All 'stats' graphs are low
>> with the exception of 'i'. I'm having like 1600 interrups per second
>> (so I see a number instead of just the graph). Is this normal? How can
>> I tell what those interrupts are?
>
> if you are running 9atom, /dev/irqalloc 3rd column is the number
> of interrupts for that interrupt entry.  note that if two irq handlers
> are chained off the same vector, an interrupt for either will increment
> both of their total counts.  this is just a hardware limitation.
>
> - erik

Ok. I tried to cat /dev/irqalloc and by far (2 orders of magnitude)
the highest number is

32  0  45425578 clock

What is the meaning?
Is this Ok?

@ 2010-03-08 16:49     ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2010-03-08 16:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Ok. I tried to cat /dev/irqalloc and by far (2 orders of magnitude)
> the highest number is
>
> 32  0  45425578 clock
>
> What is the meaning?
> Is this Ok?

yes.  it should be fine.  9atom cranks up HZ to 1000.
this allows accurate sleeping delays down to 1ms.
this shouldn't be a problem, even for an older system
such as yours.  it just looks funny on stats.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] common number of interrups/sec
@ 2010-03-08 16:51       ` Rudolf Sykora
From: Rudolf Sykora @ 2010-03-08 16:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 8 March 2010 17:49, erik quanstrom <quanstro@labs.coraid.com> wrote:
>> Ok. I tried to cat /dev/irqalloc and by far (2 orders of magnitude)
>> the highest number is
>>
>> 32  0  45425578 clock
>>
>> What is the meaning?
>> Is this Ok?
>
> yes.  it should be fine.  9atom cranks up HZ to 1000.
> this allows accurate sleeping delays down to 1ms.
> this shouldn't be a problem, even for an older system
> such as yours.  it just looks funny on stats.
>
> - erik

Fine to know it is as should be.
Thanks!
Ruda