* [9fans] Plan9 install CDROM seems only want to install from fd0
@ 2008-08-04  8:39 RyanMcCoskrie
From: RyanMcCoskrie @ 2008-08-04  8:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I have tried to install plan9 to a spare hard disk today but when I
select options to
from the install cd's boot menu it says that the device it is meant to
boot from is invalid.
The only device it says that is bootable is fd0 which I'm sure is the
floppy.

I don't have a floppy.

Have I got something wrong? Is there something wrong with my AMD64 PC?
or is it a bogus iso that I
wrote to disk?

* Re: [9fans] Plan9 install CDROM seems only want to install from fd0
@ 2008-08-04  8:46 ` Christian Kellermann
From: Christian Kellermann @ 2008-08-04  8:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

* RyanMcCoskrie <ryan.mccoskrie@gmail.com> [080804 10:41]:
> I have tried to install plan9 to a spare hard disk today but when I
> select options to
> from the install cd's boot menu it says that the device it is meant to
> boot from is invalid.
> The only device it says that is bootable is fd0 which I'm sure is the
> floppy.

Is your hard disk detected? If yes this is a common blunder of the
install script you can solve easily.  Most likely it does not find
the CDROM where it expects it to be, that is as the secondary master.
In plan9 this is sdD0... You can enter different devices than that.

Try sdD1 or even sdC1 for example.

HTH,

Christian

--
You may use my gpg key for replies:
pub  1024D/47F79788 2005/02/02 Christian Kellermann (C-Keen)

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 202 bytes --]

* Re: [9fans] Plan9 install CDROM seems only want to install from fd0
@ 2008-08-04 13:17   ` sqweek
From: sqweek @ 2008-08-04 13:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Mon, Aug 4, 2008 at 4:46 PM, Christian Kellermann
<Christian.Kellermann@nefkom.net> wrote:
> * RyanMcCoskrie <ryan.mccoskrie@gmail.com> [080804 10:41]:
>> I have tried to install plan9 to a spare hard disk today but when I
>> select options to
>> from the install cd's boot menu it says that the device it is meant to
>> boot from is invalid.
>
> Is your hard disk detected? If yes this is a common blunder of the
> install script you can solve easily.  Most likely it does not find
> the CDROM where it expects it to be, that is as the secondary master.
> In plan9 this is sdD0... You can enter different devices than that.

 To be specific, sdD0!cdboot!9pccd.gz for booting the livecd,
sdD0!cdboot!9pcflop.gz for installing. sdD0 is secondary master, sdC0
primary master, sdD1 secondary slave.
 Assuming you manage to find a kernel using one of these, for the
livecd portion you'll have to make a similar substitution later on in
the boot process when it is looking for the root filesystem -
something like local!#S/sdD0/data.
 As for "easily solved", I'm not so sure. I've been able to boot the
livecd with the cd drive not on secondary master, but as soon as the
install script starts running it locks up.
-sqweek

* Re: [9fans] Plan9 install CDROM seems only want to install from fd0
@ 2008-08-06  9:17     ` RyanMcCoskrie
From: RyanMcCoskrie @ 2008-08-06  9:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

sdC0!cdboot!9pccd.gz

right. Thanks, I'll try that once my brother is done with supertux.