* [9fans] Vacfs/9pfuse problems?
@ 2008-09-09 13:49 Venkatesh Srinivas
From: Venkatesh Srinivas @ 2008-09-09 13:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hi,

I've been having some trouble with vacfs and 9pfuse. I can mount a root
score, I can read files fine.

If I Control-C any I/O operations, though, vacfs just 'goes away', Linux
complains about the transport endpoint being disconnected.

Also, running 'find' causes problems - after processing a small number
of directories, find stops finding new files and returns 'permission
denied' for directories, whether or not the permissions allow
reading/traversing. Unmounting and remounting vacfs and walking the
directory by hand both work.

Anyone else have these kind of problems?

Thanks,
--vs

* Re: [9fans] Vacfs/9pfuse problems?
@ 2008-09-10  4:25 ` sqweek
From: sqweek @ 2008-09-10  4:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Tue, Sep 9, 2008 at 9:49 PM, Venkatesh Srinivas <me@acm.jhu.edu> wrote:
> I've been having some trouble with vacfs and 9pfuse.
> If I Control-C any I/O operations, though, vacfs just 'goes away', Linux
> complains about the transport endpoint being disconnected.
>
> Also, running 'find' causes problems - after processing a small number
> of directories, find stops finding new files and returns 'permission
> denied' for directories,

 I see the same 9pfuse behaviour mounting ircfs or u9fs at work. If I
interrupt some I/O, I lose the mount.
 Haven't seen the find problem, 9pfuse -D might be instructive there.
-sqweek

* Re: [9fans] Vacfs/9pfuse problems?
@ 2008-09-10 14:41   ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2008-09-10 14:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

There may be two bugs here.  One happens when you start 9pfuse in
one terminal and then interrupt a program in that same terminal.
Perhaps the shell sends the interrupt to the backgrounded 9pfuse
or 9p server too.  If so, there is an rfork(RFNOTEG) missing somewhere.

The second is what happens when any I/O to the 9pfuse server
gets interrupted, in any terminal.  That one:

>  I see the same 9pfuse behaviour mounting ircfs or u9fs at work. If I
> interrupt some I/O, I lose the mount.
>  Haven't seen the find problem, 9pfuse -D might be instructive there.

I think I fixed this on July 24.
http://hg.pdos.csail.mit.edu/hg/plan9/rev/18d28bd28f4b

Russ

* Re: [9fans] Vacfs/9pfuse problems?
@ 2008-09-11  5:46     ` sqweek
From: sqweek @ 2008-09-11  5:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Wed, Sep 10, 2008 at 10:41 PM, Russ Cox <rsc@swtch.com> wrote:
> There may be two bugs here.  One happens when you start 9pfuse in
> one terminal and then interrupt a program in that same terminal.

 This looks fine, I can start 9pfuse and then in the same terminal
ctrl-c to my heart's content without killing 9pfuse.

> The second is what happens when any I/O to the 9pfuse server
> gets interrupted, in any terminal.  That one:
>
> I think I fixed this on July 24.
> http://hg.pdos.csail.mit.edu/hg/plan9/rev/18d28bd28f4b

 Yep, seems to be fixed after updating to tip. Thanks!
-sqweek