* [9fans] plot(1) to file?
@ 2008-11-27 14:47 sqweek
From: sqweek @ 2008-11-27 14:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

 Hey guys,
 I've got some data I want to put in a graph. I got graph |plot going
easy enough, which gets me a nice pic on the screen, but I can't work
out how to generate an image file instead. plot(1) mentions troff
which convinces me that it is possible, I just can't figure out how.
 I'm using p9p, otherwise I could probably do something clever with
/dev/screen...
-sqweek

* Re: [9fans] plot(1) to file?
@ 2008-11-27 15:31 ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2008-11-27 15:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>  I've got some data I want to put in a graph. I got graph |plot going
> easy enough, which gets me a nice pic on the screen, but I can't work
> out how to generate an image file instead. plot(1) mentions troff
> which convinces me that it is possible, I just can't figure out how.
>  I'm using p9p, otherwise I could probably do something clever with
> /dev/screen...

x allows similar tricks.  see xwd(1).

- erik

* Re: [9fans] plot(1) to file?
@ 2008-11-27 15:45   ` Steve Simon
From: Steve Simon @ 2008-11-27 15:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

You could use grap(1) - the troff preprocessor.

-Steve

* Re: [9fans] plot(1) to file?
@ 2008-11-28  3:38   ` sqweek
From: sqweek @ 2008-11-28  3:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Fri, Nov 28, 2008 at 12:31 AM, erik quanstrom <quanstro@quanstro.net> wrote:
>>  I'm using p9p, otherwise I could probably do something clever with
>> /dev/screen...
>
> x allows similar tricks.  see xwd(1).

 Ah right. That assumes I have an X server available though, which
isn't usually true on my server where I want a cron job to generate
the graphs. I guess I could mess about with Xvfb, but I should
probably take a look at grap(1) anyway... graph(1) has a nice easy
interface but I could do a better job of axes labels and the like with
finer control. OTOH, nothing to stop me inserting my own plot(1)
commands in graph's output...
 Well I should work something out. Thanks Steve, Erik.
-sqweek