* [9fans] inferno on '2000
@ 2001-04-16  8:10 Boyd Roberts
From: Boyd Roberts @ 2001-04-16  8:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

this may have not made the list via news as
my cable provider have an interesting idea
of how to build networks:

just got it installed.  seems to be fine except the
install instructions are wrong.  it's been a very
rare month, so i took no notes; they can be re-constucted.

now i can write some limbo.  this _may_ cause some trouble...

this may not be the right forum, but it's pretty close.

* Re: [9fans] inferno on '2000
@ 2001-04-16 14:02 ` suspect
From: suspect @ 2001-04-16 14:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Mon, 16 Apr 2001, Boyd Roberts wrote:
> now i can write some limbo.  this _may_ cause some trouble...
>
> this may not be the right forum, but it's pretty close.

There is an Inferno/Limbo mailing list

	echo subscribe inferno | mail majordomo@research.suspicious.org

-

* Re: [9fans] inferno on '2000
@ 2001-04-16 14:37   ` Boyd Roberts
From: Boyd Roberts @ 2001-04-16 14:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

From: andrey mirtchovski @ 2001-04-16 15:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

since we're on the topic of inferno and win2000, here's my constructive
criticism:

emu chokes with 'cannot mount root from /users/inferno' (or something
like that) if the distribution is not installed in C:\users\inferno on a
win2000 machine.

since it's monday and i don't feel like trying to find *why* it choked,
i simply deleted and reinstalled again in the default directory...

andrey

ps: i know this is not the inferno mailing list, but... :)

pps: i'd be interested in stats on how many people have downloaded
inferno, bought inferno and so on. could vitanuova release something
like that? (i mean, if the numbers are positive of course :)

* Re[2]: [9fans] inferno on '2000
@ 2001-04-16 16:00       ` matt
From: matt @ 2001-04-16 16:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: andrey mirtchovski

am> emu chokes with 'cannot mount root from /users/inferno' (or something
am> like that) if the distribution is not installed in C:\users\inferno on a
am> win2000 machine.

you need to set your command line args for the default DIR

the installer creates the shortcut thus :

E:\Inferno\Nt\386\bin\emu.exe -g800x600 "-re:\Inferno"

Matt

* Re: [9fans] inferno on '2000
@ 2001-04-16 16:09       ` Boyd Roberts
From: Boyd Roberts @ 2001-04-16 16:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

From: "andrey mirtchovski" <aam396@mail.usask.ca>

> emu chokes with 'cannot mount root from /users/inferno' (or something
> like that) if the distribution is not installed in C:\users\inferno on a
> win2000 machine.

did that to me to so i used

    -rC:\inferno

as well as:

    -g1024x768

but the later is for the display.

i couldn't see the point of didn't placing it to far down the tree (i 'backup'
my lapdog onto cd.  this is virtually impossible on windows with the
horrible adaptec cd burning s/w and the way '2000 is always touching
files and losing memory behind you back).

there are problems with the install doc, so i just figured it out -- best
way to learn how it works.

> pps: i'd be interested in stats on how many people have downloaded
> inferno, bought inferno and so on. could vitanuova release something
> like that? (i mean, if the numbers are positive of course :)

i got the full distribution as a 'thank you' for the core DES code i wrote
and gave away ages ago -- it turned up in vita's inferno after i'd re-ok'd it
IIRC.