* [9fans] High interruptload on cpu server
@ 2003-11-23 13:38 Matthias Teege
From: Matthias Teege @ 2003-11-23 13:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Moin,

I have a cpu server running in a vmware machine. I run stats on my
terminal (also vmware) and on the cpu server and since some days
there is a relativ high interrupt/sec load on the cpu server. The
stats line remains on 50% of the display. All other stats are
"normal". The interrupt load on the terminal is much smaller.

Is there any way to detect, how is eating the interrupts? There
isn't much load on the cpu server.

Matthias

* Re: [9fans] High interruptload on cpu server
@ 2003-11-23 17:51 David Presotto
From: David Presotto @ 2003-11-23 17:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

If you're on a PC, you can look to see how much time is
spent in interrupts by 'acid -k $pid' and dumping the
intrtimes array.  Take a look at trap.c and you'll
understand.  It's just an array of 20 buckets for each
possible interrupt level.  Each bucket represents a
100 µ second interval.  You'll be able to tell if any
one level is hogging a lot of time.  I've debated adding
a user readable interface but then I'ld have to write a
man page.

kprof is moderately crappy for timing interrupts since
it samples in the clock routine which is splhi'd as
are the other interrupt routines, i.e., sampling is
mutually exclusive to the interrupt routine running.