From: Ethan Grammatikidis <eekee57@fastmail.fm>
To: 9fans@9fans.net
Subject: Re: [9fans] Chords, ^, _, ^B and scroll with mouse wheel in p9p sam
Date: Fri, 27 May 2016 23:16:07 +0100	[thread overview]

On Fri, May 27, 2016, at 09:57 PM, Mark Lee Smith wrote:
> Thanks for sharing this! I'd already backported a few of the features,
> but I hadn't yet got around to looking at the chording code etc. It's
> great to have selection working! I'm not sure if I did something wrong
> (I've checked the changes a few times) but scrolling only works
> "sometimes", mostly it seems to get stuck when scrolling back up? Can
> anyone confirm? In my experience sam's scrolling seems to be pretty
> broken (at least in the plan9port version) so it might not have
> anything to do with these changes.

Welcome to the club. *hands you your "I have experienced
samscrolling" badge*

"Samscrolling" refers to scrolling by cursor keys; you didn't say keys,
scrollbar, or scroll wheel. Samscrolling is something of a phenomenon in
its own right. 9front added another, more predictable but scarcely more
controllable phenomenon which applies to the scroll wheel: The nearer
the mouse pointer is to the bottom of the window, the more effective the
scroll wheel is, until at the bottom one notch on the wheel moves a
whole page. I call this feature TURBO ULTRADRIVE HYPERSCROLLING because
for those of us with real scroll wheels and too focused on the actual
text to remember where the mouse pointer is, it's fantastically
annoying. They inflicted it on rio too, months ago, and I'm still not
entirely used to it. The one guy who loves this feature uses that IBM
mouse with a trackpoint instead of a scroll wheel.

--
I'm too old to use vi.