* [9fans] #i: no frame buffer
@ 2000-11-10 11:54 Jean Mehat
From: Jean Mehat @ 2000-11-10 11:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

At last, I received the machines where I intend to install the new release
of Plan 9.

The system went nicely as a terminal (Pentium III/Xeon 733MHz on an
ASUS CUV4XM motherboard, HD IDE 15G, 3C905 TXM network card and Matrox
vga card based on MGA2164W AGP rev. 0).

Trying to configure the very same machine as a cpu/auth server, I
have the same 'bind: #i: no frame buffer' problem that some others
encountered.

I tried to add (blindly) in main.c:confinit the memory allocation
done on terminals, but if doesn't change anything.

I know video is not necessary on cpu servers, but out of curiosity,
has anyone a working draw device on a cpu server ?

jmehat@ai.univ-paris8.fr

* Re: [9fans] #i: no frame buffer
@ 2000-11-10 12:42 ` arisawa
From: arisawa @ 2000-11-10 12:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hello,

>Trying to configure the very same machine as a cpu/auth server, I
>have the same 'bind: #i: no frame buffer' problem that some others
>encountered.

distributed pccpudisk support only few vga
and pccpu support nothing.

change pccpudisk and pccpu as bellow.
(you can remove redundant vga support)

Kenji Arisawa
E-mail: arisawa@aichi-u.ac.jp

------------ /sys/src/9/pc/pccpudisk ------------
dev
        root
        cons
        arch
        env
        pipe
        proc
        mnt
        srv
        dup
        rtc
        ssl
        bridge

        ether           netif
        ip              arp dial inferno ip ipaux iproute kio netlog
nullmedium pktmedium ptclbsum386

        draw            screen vga vgax
        mouse           mouse
        vga

        sd
        floppy          dma

        lpt
        ns16552
        astar           pci

link
        ether82557      pci
        etherelnk3      pci
        ethermedium

misc
        archmp          mp apic

        ipconfig.root
        kfs.root

        sdata           pci sdscsi
        sd53c8xx        pci sdscsi
        sdmylex         pci sdscsi

        vga3dfx         +cur
        vgaark2000pv    +cur
        vgabt485        =cur
        vgaclgd542x     +cur
        vgaclgd546x     +cur
        vgact65545      +cur
        vgacyber938x    +cur
        vgahiqvideo     +cur
        vgamach64xx     +cur
        vgamga2164w     +cur
        vganeomagic     +cur
        vgargb524       =cur
        vgas3           +cur vgasavage
        vgat2r4         +cur
        vgatvp3020      =cur
        vgatvp3026      =cur

ip
        il
        tcp
        udp
        rudp
        ipifc
        icmp
        gre
        ipmux

port
        int cpuserver = 1;

boot cpu boot #S/sdC0/
        local
        il

-------------- /sys/src/9/pc/pccpu ----------
dev
        root
        cons
        arch
        env
        pipe
        proc
        mnt
        mntstats
        srv
        dup
        rtc
        ssl
        bridge

        ether           netif
        ip              arp dial inferno ip ipaux iproute kio netlog
nullmedium pktmedium ptclbsum386

        draw            screen vga vgax
        mouse           mouse
        vga

        sd
        floppy          dma

        lpt
        ns16552

link
        ether2000       ether8390
        ether2114x      pci
        ether79c970     pci
        ether8003       ether8390
        ether82557      pci
        etherelnk3      pci
        ethermedium

misc
        archmp          mp apic

        ipconfig.root

        sdata           pci sdscsi
        sd53c8xx        pci sdscsi
        sdmylex         pci sdscsi

        vga3dfx         +cur
        vgaark2000pv    +cur
        vgabt485        =cur
        vgaclgd542x     +cur
        vgaclgd546x     +cur
        vgact65545      +cur
        vgacyber938x    +cur
        vgahiqvideo     +cur
        vgamach64xx     +cur
        vgamga2164w     +cur
        vganeomagic     +cur
        vgargb524       =cur
        vgas3           +cur vgasavage
        vgat2r4         +cur
        vgatvp3020      =cur
        vgatvp3026      =cur

ip
        il
        tcp
        udp
        rudp
        ipifc
        icmp
        gre
        ipmux

port
        int cpuserver = 1;

boot cpu
        il

* Re: [9fans] #i: no frame buffer
@ 2000-11-10 15:33   ` Fco. J. Ballesteros
From: Fco. J. Ballesteros @ 2000-11-10 15:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I also had to edit my cpurc script to bind a couple extra devices.
Perhaps that's happening to you too.

    arisawa> Hello,

    >> Trying to configure the very same machine as a cpu/auth server,
    >> I have the same 'bind: #i: no frame buffer' problem that some
    >> others encountered.

    arisawa> change pccpudisk and pccpu as bellow.  (you can remove
    arisawa> redundant vga support)