* [9fans] Any recommendation for an ATA 133 PCI-Controller?
@ 2005-08-13  9:13 Christian Walther
From: Christian Walther @ 2005-08-13  9:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hi 9Fans,

I recently purchased a 200GB IDE-Drive that I would like to use in a
Plan 9 file server. A collegue gave me two Pentium 3/500 boxes I would
like to install Plan 9 on, one acting as a auth server, the other as
the file server. Naturally these machines aren't able to deal with
such a big Hard Disk, so I'm in need of an ATA 133 PCI-Controller,
that is actually supported by Plan 9.
Reading the Wiki I learned that some chipsets are supported including
DMA, but these are ATA 66 at best. The wiki also states that many
other chipsets without DMA. This doesn't bother me that much. because
I doubt that DMA will increase the overall performance that much.
What makes me wonder what card to choose is the "Plan 9 on Compaq
AP550"-Thread, in which is stated that most IDE-RAID Controllers won't
work. Well, I don't really need such a Controller, I'll be perfectly
happy with a standard ATA133 Controller that'll allow me to attach
four disks to it.
Additionally any kind of chipset support doesn't necessarily mean that
every card with such a chipset is supported.
So I would be happy if someone could point me to a brand or specific
modell that's known to work with Plan 9, or some chipsets I should
look out for.

Bye,
Christian Walther

only message in thread, other threads:[~2005-08-13  9:13 UTC | newest]