* [9fans] questions for the Plan 9 aces out there...
@ 2007-05-30 15:36 kcmunchkin
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: kcmunchkin @ 2007-05-30 15:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

i'd like to build a machine to handle plan 9 as my primary operating
system.  i wouldn't even have a problem converting my windows
machine...

i became interested in plan 9 while doing research last year for the
company i worked for at the time.

here are the things that i find necessary in a computer in 2007:

-a jukebox for my cds
-a notepad for writing
-a space to orgainize and distribute photos
-a browser that supports ajax--so i could use google for my email and
apps

that's about it for me.

my question is this:  is there a certain set of programs that i could
assemble to allow a plan 9 machine to perform these functions?  and,
if so, is plan 9 a disaster to get installed and configured on a pc?

thank your for your time...

* Re: [9fans] questions for the Plan 9 aces out there...
@ 2007-05-30 15:48 ` Gabriel Diaz
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Gabriel Diaz @ 2007-05-30 15:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

hello

you can do all of that if your hardware is supported, but the
ajax-thing (abaco, the web browser, is able to show your gmail account
in html mode).

-a jukebox for my cds
juke(7) may be, if those cd's are in mp3/ogg/wav format
> -a notepad for writing
sam(1)
acme(1)
> -a space to orgainize and distribute photos
mkdir(1)

> -a browser that supports ajax--so i could use google for my email and
> apps
abaco (sources/contrib/fgb/abaco_test.tgz) will show your gmail
account in html mode afaik, but forget about javascript at the moment.

slds.

gabi

@ 2007-05-30 15:50 ` Tom Lieber
From: Tom Lieber @ 2007-05-30 15:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 5/31/07, kcmunchkin@gmail.com <kcmunchkin@gmail.com> wrote:
> -a jukebox for my cds
> -a notepad for writing
> -a space to orgainize and distribute photos
> -a browser that supports ajax--so i could use google for my email and
> apps

I'm no ace, but I'm sure those are coming.

There is not a browser that fits your specs, to my knowledge. I
believe the wiki recommends using VNC to connect to a computer running
a different OS, and use its browser for this.

I'm not sure what you mean by "a space to organize and distribute
photos." Are you talking about sharing photos over a network?

Sincerely,

Tom Lieber
http://AllTom.com/
http://GadgetLife.org/

* Re: [9fans] questions for the Plan 9 aces out there...
@ 2007-05-30 15:53 ` Lorenzo Fernando Bivens de la Fuente
From: Lorenzo Fernando Bivens de la Fuente @ 2007-05-30 15:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

¡Hola!

If you have a lot of interest, you will find the time to make it work,
but there is no "picasa"/"gphoto" software and the best web browser,
Abaco, is still far from being complete... But gmail works... I am not
an AJAX fan, but if you can contribute to support this... Welcome!

About your jukebox... You mean a cd player or multi-disc management?

For the photo management, it would be interesting to have an
"albumfs"... I've thought of this before, but then again it should
have to be written from the scratch.

Plan 9 is growing. Contributing is much easier than you might think...

Come on board! RRRRRRRRRR!

:D

Cheers!

@ 2007-05-30 16:25   ` Steve Simon
From: Steve Simon @ 2007-05-30 16:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> albumfs

What would this do?

I would have expected he is after somthing like filckrfs to
up/down load images at flickr.com?

maybe all he needs is a web server and a bit of awk to generate
the html around a directory of pictures.

actually this would be useful, anyone with an in-depth knowledge
of what is acceptable in html these days written such a piece of awk?

-Steve

* Re: [9fans] questions for the Plan 9 aces out there...
@ 2007-05-30 16:32     ` Lorenzo Fernando Bivens de la Fuente
From: Lorenzo Fernando Bivens de la Fuente @ 2007-05-30 16:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> > albumfs
>
> What would this do?
Sort my pictures by date, tag, album, exif data, etc... Using a synthetic fs.

> I would have expected he is after somthing like filckrfs to
> up/down load images at flickr.com?
>
> maybe all he needs is a web server and a bit of awk to generate
> the html around a directory of pictures.

Indeed, you are right, but I speak personally when I say that I prefer
to handle my own pictures...

Anyway some awk would do the job :D

Cheers!

* Re: [9fans] questions for the Plan 9 aces out there...
@ 2007-05-30 18:33     ` Skip Tavakkolian
From: Skip Tavakkolian @ 2007-05-30 18:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> actually this would be useful, anyone with an in-depth knowledge
> of what is acceptable in html these days written such a piece of awk?

i have a simple html generator (piggy.rc) in contrib. it uses
resample to generate thumbnails.

there are new libraries (like Yahoo's YUI) that have cool gadgets
and code that can be used to do something fancy. in that case
you'd just generate the xml or json that has the references (url's)
to things like thumbnails and descriptions.  it could then display
them (slide-show animation style probably) using the preferred
style, etc.

* Re: [9fans] questions for the Plan 9 aces out there...
@ 2007-05-30 19:01       ` andrey mirtchovski
From: andrey mirtchovski @ 2007-05-30 19:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

the perl script i use to generate galleries can be rewritten in rc or
awk or whatever:

http://mirtchovski.com/2007-05-04-Karting/

it can be hosted on plan 9 just fine (it was hosted on 9grid for a year or so)

if anyone wants to use it give me a shout in private and i'll send it
to you together with the javascript used on the site.

* [9fans] Re: questions for the Plan 9 aces out there...
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2007-05-31  8:28 ` kcmunchkin
From: kcmunchkin @ 2007-05-31  8:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

thanks for the replies...

what i meant by cd jukebox...i meant that i like to rip all my cds to
my comp and use it as a jukebox.  itunes is good.  media player 11 is
good.  but, no frills is okay with me.  this is one of the main things
i use my computer for.

as for the pics.  what i meant is that i would just like to be able to
pull pics off a digital camera and store them and be able to send them
in email...don't even need to edit them at all.

and, of course, in taking a look at plan 9 i was lead to inferno.
haven't been able to figure out what, exactly, inferno is.  is it just
a plan 9 variant that's being marketed by vita nuova?  i've read many
documents regarding plan 9 (such as security and the first 20 or so
pages of the manual) and a handful regarding inferno and i have yet to
put my finger on what makes inferno different from plan 9.

i used to program in pascal in the mid-90's.  i wrote a game called
"toxi city" for the mac.  the two things i learned from that
experience were collision detection and object movement.  the last
time i wrote a program was when i got a c on my ADA test that i wrote
completely in pascal 'cause i was too busy getting smashed to even
investigate the subtle differences...or learn the major differences.
global variables and a semicolon.

one of my friends was involved in a handful of playstation 2 projects
along with writing an arcade game...she's been trying to talk me back
into the coding lifestyle.

so, is Limbo a good place to start?...she says C...but, she also says
that someone needs to write a new language so that people who are
capable of logic and reason aren't so frustrated.

thanks all!

* Re: [9fans] Re: questions for the Plan 9 aces out there...
@ 2007-05-31 10:35   ` maht
From: maht @ 2007-05-31 10:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

 > what i meant by cd jukebox...i meant that i like to rip all my cds to
 > my comp and use it as a jukebox.

we call these directories

 > itunes is good. media player 11 is good.
wrong, wrong :)

 > but, no frills is okay with me.
you're in the right place

 > this is one of the main things i use my computer for.
ripping cd's and listening to them ?

anyhoo the encoders are here >
http://plan9.bell-labs.com/sources/contrib/cnielsen/
and a gui player  here
http://plan9.bell-labs.com/sources/contrib/sascharetzki/9vorbis.tgz
though as a juke box I don't know what interface you'd like

> as for the pics.  what i meant is that i would just like to be able to
> pull pics off a digital camera and store them and be able to send them
> in email...don't even need to edit them at all.

Lots of cameras now use SCSI over USB, a simple mount and there you go

 > i have yet to put my finger on what makes inferno different from plan 9.
Inferno virtualises the OS

> so, is Limbo a good place to start?...she says C...but, she also says
> that someone needs to write a new language so that people who are
> capable of logic and reason aren't so frustrated.

I'd go with Limbo, though your target audience is small it's a language
where you're not fiddling with memory allocation instead of solving your
problem. Learn a bit and introduce your friend to it, she might be happy
you did.