* [9fans] dmamode
@ 2008-01-10 18:14 john
From: john @ 2008-01-10 18:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Venti dumps were taking forever, so we investigated... turns out
DMA was turned off. I know I said "use DMA" when I installed, and
plan9.ini contains dmamode=ask, but DMA is not enabled at boot
and I am not asked if I want to use DMA. Additionally, the dmamode=
option is not documented in plan9.ini(8); I'm looking at the source right
now but so far I've been unable to find where the value is read.
I thought options given at installation were used in the system after
installing? I know that's the case for mouseport and vgasize, but not
for DMA? Why isn't dmamode= documented in plan9.ini(8)? Do you
turn on DMA in plan9.ini or by just putting an echo command in
cpurc?

John

* Re: [9fans] dmamode
@ 2008-01-10 18:16 ` andrey mirtchovski
From: andrey mirtchovski @ 2008-01-10 18:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

echo in cpurc. same for rwm...

* Re: [9fans] dmamode
@ 2008-01-10 18:21   ` ron minnich
                       ` (2 more replies)
From: ron minnich @ 2008-01-10 18:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Jan 10, 2008 10:16 AM, andrey mirtchovski <mirtchovski@gmail.com> wrote:
> echo in cpurc. same for rwm...

I hate changing cpurc, but maybe I'm too squeamish. Is that really the way?

ron

* Re: [9fans] dmamode
@ 2008-01-10 18:24     ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2008-01-10 18:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> On Jan 10, 2008 10:16 AM, andrey mirtchovski <mirtchovski@gmail.com> wrote:
> > echo in cpurc. same for rwm...
> >

> I hate changing cpurc, but maybe I'm too squeamish. Is that really the way?

you've been unixed. ;-)

- erik

* Re: [9fans] dmamode
@ 2008-01-10 18:26     ` Felipe Bichued
From: Felipe Bichued @ 2008-01-10 18:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Me too. I put it in cpurc.local.

Felipe.
On 1/10/08, ron minnich <rminnich@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jan 10, 2008 10:16 AM, andrey mirtchovski <mirtchovski@gmail.com> wrote:
> > echo in cpurc. same for rwm...
> >

> I hate changing cpurc, but maybe I'm too squeamish. Is that really the way?
>
> ron

* Re: [9fans] dmamode
@ 2008-01-10 18:28       ` john
From: john @ 2008-01-10 18:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Me too. I put it in cpurc.local.
>
> Felipe.
> On 1/10/08, ron minnich <rminnich@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Jan 10, 2008 10:16 AM, andrey mirtchovski <mirtchovski@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > echo in cpurc. same for rwm...
>> >

>> I hate changing cpurc, but maybe I'm too squeamish. Is that really the way?
>>
>> ron

I just dropped it into cpurc.local, but now I want to know--why
do we maintain dmamode=ask in our plan9.ini's? Googling for
dmamode seems to indicate that a lot of people have it, but I have
never once been prompted for dma mode except in the installation.

John

* Re: [9fans] dmamode
@ 2008-01-10 18:32     ` andrey mirtchovski
From: andrey mirtchovski @ 2008-01-10 18:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> I hate changing cpurc, but maybe I'm too squeamish. Is that really the way?

i've always carried my config from way back, when such niceties as
cpurc.local didn't exist and cpurc pretty much had to be edited to get
a local cpu server up.

i just put it in a if(test -w /dev/sdC?/ctl)