* pull in 9vx
@ 2008-07-02 18:09 Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2008-07-02 18:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

If you give 9vx a full Plan 9 distribution, you can use
pull to update it just like any other distribution.
Early copies of 9vx had a /dist/replica/client/plan9.db
but it didn't match all the files I'd deleted to cut the
size of the archive down.  In 0.12 I deleted the plan9.db
too, so that pull wouldn't try to run.

If you want to run pull, you should start with a full tree.
I have posted one at http://pdos.csail.mit.edu/~rsc/plan9.tar.bz2
You should be able to run pull successfully if you use
that tree as your root.

You can also start with a stock Plan 9 CD, if you know how
to extract it into your local file system, but you will need
to populate /dist/replica/client appropriately and also
copy /dist/replica/network from a 9vx tree, since I haven't
gotten those changes back into the distribution yet.

Russ

* Re: [9fans] pull in 9vx
@ 2008-07-02 20:12 ` hiro
From: hiro @ 2008-07-02 20:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 7/2/08, Russ Cox <rsc@swtch.com> wrote:
> If you give 9vx a full Plan 9 distribution, you can use
>  pull to update it just like any other distribution.
>  Early copies of 9vx had a /dist/replica/client/plan9.db
>  but it didn't match all the files I'd deleted to cut the
>  size of the archive down.  In 0.12 I deleted the plan9.db
>  too, so that pull wouldn't try to run.
>
>  If you want to run pull, you should start with a full tree.
>  I have posted one at http://pdos.csail.mit.edu/~rsc/plan9.tar.bz2
>  You should be able to run pull successfully if you use
>  that tree as your root.
>
>  You can also start with a stock Plan 9 CD, if you know how
>  to extract it into your local file system, but you will need
>  to populate /dist/replica/client appropriately and also
>  copy /dist/replica/network from a 9vx tree, since I haven't
>  gotten those changes back into the distribution yet.
>

>  Russ

I got crazy permissions here?!

$ tar jxf plan9.tar.bz2
tar: plan9/mnt/exportfs/16: Cannot mkdir: Permission denied
tar: plan9/mnt/exportfs/1: Cannot mkdir: Permission denied
tar: plan9/mnt/exportfs/10: Cannot mkdir: Permission denied
tar: plan9/mnt/exportfs/9: Cannot mkdir: Permission denied
tar: plan9/mnt/cons/cons: Cannot mkdir: Permission denied
tar: plan9/mnt/cons/consctl: Cannot mkdir: Permission denied
tar: Ignoring unknown extended header keyword `SCHILY.dev'
tar: Ignoring unknown extended header keyword `SCHILY.ino'
tar: Ignoring unknown extended header keyword `SCHILY.nlink'

@ 2008-07-02 20:40   ` Charles Forsyth
From: Charles Forsyth @ 2008-07-02 20:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> I got crazy permissions here?!
>
> $ tar jxf plan9.tar.bz2
> tar: plan9/mnt/exportfs/16: Cannot mkdir: Permission denied
> tar: plan9/mnt/exportfs/1: Cannot mkdir: Permission denied
> tar: plan9/mnt/exportfs/10: Cannot mkdir: Permission denied

i'd guess that your tar isn't up to dealing with mode 555 on directories with substructure in the archive

* Re: [9fans] pull in 9vx
@ 2008-07-02 21:16     ` hiro
From: hiro @ 2008-07-02 21:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Yeah, so will there be no fix?

* Re: [9fans] pull in 9vx
@ 2008-07-03  1:02       ` David Boswell
From: David Boswell @ 2008-07-03  1:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Try extracting with star (Schilling Tar)

On 7/2/08, hiro <23hiro@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Yeah, so will there be no fix?

* Re: [9fans] pull in 9vx
@ 2008-07-03  1:03   ` Fazlul Shahriar
From: Fazlul Shahriar @ 2008-07-03  1:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Try the plan9port tar:

	$ 9 bunzip2 < plan9.tar.bz2 | 9 tar x
	$

@ 2008-07-03  1:11     ` hiro
From: hiro @ 2008-07-03  1:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Yeah, i know i can extract it if I try hard enaugh.
Others won't even try.
I hope this gets fixed.

* Re: [9fans] pull in 9vx
@ 2008-07-03  4:00       ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2008-07-03  4:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Yeah, i know i can extract it if I try hard enaugh.
> Others won't even try.
> I hope this gets fixed.

This just isn't high priority for me.
Once 9vx is ready for prime time and there's
a real distribution to make, I'll worry about it then.

Also, you're really not trying very hard.
If the GNU tar is broken (and it appears to be),
you can always use the bsd tar (apt-get install bsdtar)
or the Plan 9 tar (9 tar).

Russ

* Re: [9fans] pull in 9vx
@ 2008-07-03  8:46         ` Fernan Bolando
From: Fernan Bolando @ 2008-07-03  8:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 7/3/08, Russ Cox <rsc@swtch.com> wrote:

> > Yeah, i know i can extract it if I try hard enaugh.
> > Others won't even try.
> > I hope this gets fixed.
>

> This just isn't high priority for me.
> Once 9vx is ready for prime time and there's
> a real distribution to make, I'll worry about it then.
>
> Also, you're really not trying very hard.
> If the GNU tar is broken (and it appears to be),
> you can always use the bsd tar (apt-get install bsdtar)
> or the Plan 9 tar (9 tar).
>

> Russ

ahhh so this is probably the same reason why the ape libs are empty.

--
http://www.fernski.com

* Re: [9fans] pull in 9vx
@ 2008-07-03  9:00         ` lejatorn
From: lejatorn @ 2008-07-03  9:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Thu, Jul 03, 2008 at 12:00:02AM -0400, Russ Cox wrote:
> > Yeah, i know i can extract it if I try hard enaugh.
> > Others won't even try.
> > I hope this gets fixed.

Besides, I guess others will simply try the simple and dummy
workaround, as I did, which is to do it as root/with sudo.
You'll still get the "extended header keyword" message, which doesn't
seem that bad, but the unpacking will work, as far as I can tell.

Mathieu.

* Re: [9fans] pull in 9vx
@ 2008-07-03 12:59           ` hiro
From: hiro @ 2008-07-03 12:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> Besides, I guess others will simply try the simple and dummy
>  workaround, as I did, which is to do it as root/with sudo.
>  You'll still get the "extended header keyword" message, which doesn't
>  seem that bad, but the unpacking will work, as far as I can tell.
>
>  Mathieu.

some hospitality at this point would be good for not frightening off
these people searching for sanity...

* Re: [9fans] pull in 9vx
@ 2008-07-03 13:06             ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2008-07-03 13:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>> Besides, I guess others will simply try the simple and dummy
>>  workaround, as I did, which is to do it as root/with sudo.
>>  You'll still get the "extended header keyword" message, which doesn't
>>  seem that bad, but the unpacking will work, as far as I can tell.
>>
>>  Mathieu.
>
> some hospitality at this point would be good for not frightening off
> these people searching for sanity...

sorry.  that list is two doors down and on your left.
we have "plan 9" here.

next please.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] pull in 9vx
@ 2008-07-09 17:01               ` andrey mirtchovski
From: andrey mirtchovski @ 2008-07-09 17:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

to summarize (on linux):

directories with 555 permissions (no files can be created in them) in
which the archive needs to write some files:

plan9/mnt/exportfs
plan9/mnt/cons

these are absolutely necessary in order to extract the distribution,
but there are many other files and directories which have no
user-writable bit set, and which may be required for proper operation
while inside plan9 (for example, one can't modify the acme guide
file):

directories in which files can't be created (u-w)

plan9/mail/fs
plan9/tmp
plan9/n/d:
plan9/n/tapefs
plan9/n/a:
plan9/n/kremvax
plan9/n/c:
plan9/n/temp
plan9/n/a
plan9/n/9
plan9/n/kfs
plan9/n/ftp
plan9/n/sources
plan9/n/boot
plan9/n/c
plan9/n/paq
plan9/n/sid
plan9/n/b
plan9/n/dist
plan9/n/9fat
plan9/sys/lib/dist/cdstub
plan9/mnt/term
plan9/mnt/acme
plan9/mnt/web
plan9/mnt/lp
plan9/mnt/doc
plan9/mnt/apeselect
plan9/mnt/arch
plan9/mnt/netkeys
plan9/mnt/ums
plan9/mnt/webcookies
plan9/mnt/temp
plan9/mnt/consoles
plan9/mnt/rdb
plan9/mnt/wiki
plan9/mnt/cd
plan9/mnt/apm
plan9/mnt/plumb
plan9/mnt/wrap
plan9/mnt/cons
plan9/mnt/exportfs
plan9/mnt/keys
plan9/mnt/wsys

files which can't be modified (u-w):

plan9/acme/mail/guide
plan9/acme/bin/guide
plan9/acme/news/guide
plan9/acme/wiki/guide
plan9/acme/acid/guide
plan9/lib/font/bit/lucidasans/boldunicode.13.font
plan9/lib/font/bit/lucidasans/typeunicode.12.font
plan9/lib/font/bit/lucidasans/boldunicode.8.font
plan9/lib/font/bit/lucidasans/boldunicode.10.font
plan9/lib/font/bit/lucidasans/typeunicode.16.font
plan9/lib/font/bit/lucidasans/italicunicode.6.font
plan9/lib/font/bit/lucidasans/italicunicode.13.font
plan9/lib/font/bit/lucidasans/italicunicode.10.font
plan9/lib/font/bit/lucidasans/typeunicode.9.font
plan9/lib/font/bit/lucidasans/italicunicode.7.font
plan9/lib/font/bit/lucidasans/boldunicode.6.font
plan9/lib/font/bit/lucidasans/typeunicode.6.font
plan9/lib/font/bit/lucidasans/italicunicode.8.font
plan9/lib/font/bit/lucidasans/boldunicode.7.font
plan9/lib/font/bit/lucida/NOTICE
plan9/lib/font/bit/misc/unicode.6x13.font
plan9/lib/face/48x48x8/c/coraid.1
plan9/lib/sky/patch.scat
plan9/lib/sky/bayer.scat
plan9/lib/sky/name.scat
plan9/lib/sky/constelnames
plan9/lib/sky/mindex.scat
plan9/lib/sky/here
plan9/lib/sky/abell.scat
plan9/lib/sky/conindex.scat
plan9/lib/sky/patchindex.scat
plan9/lib/sky/estartab
plan9/lib/sky/sao.scat
plan9/lib/sky/ngc2000type.scat
plan9/lib/sky/con.scat
plan9/NOTICE
plan9/sys/src/cmd/postscript/misc/README
plan9/sys/src/cmd/postscript/misc/lp.model
plan9/sys/src/cmd/postscript/misc/ibmfont.c
plan9/sys/src/cmd/postscript/misc/laserbar.1
plan9/sys/src/cmd/postscript/misc/pscrypt.c
plan9/sys/src/cmd/postscript/misc/macfont.c
plan9/sys/src/cmd/postscript/misc/setbaud.ps
plan9/sys/src/cmd/postscript/misc/laserbar.c
plan9/sys/src/9/pc/a100p.cp
plan9/sys/src/NOTICE
plan9/sys/doc/sam/refs
plan9/sys/doc/sam/fig7.pic
plan9/sys/doc/sam/sam.ms
plan9/sys/doc/sam/sam.tut
plan9/sys/doc/sam/fig5.pic
plan9/sys/doc/sam/fig6.pic
plan9/sys/doc/sam/fig3.bm
plan9/sys/doc/sam/fig1.bm
plan9/sys/doc/sam/fig2.bm
plan9/sys/doc/sam/fig4.bm
plan9/sys/lib/postscript/font/NOTICE
plan9/sys/lib/webls.denied
plan9/sys/lib/ghostscript/font/README
plan9/sys/lib/astar/a100p.cp
plan9/LICENSE

so, to uncompress the archive in linux (or osx, or bsd, i presume) do:

$ tar jxvf plan9.tar.bz2 plan9/mnt/cons plan9/mnt/exportfs --mode 755
> /dev/null
[messages about ignored headers]
$ tar jxvf plan9.tar.bz2 --exclude plan9/mnt/cons --exclude
plan9/mnt/exportfs > /dev/null
[messages about ignored headers]

and to fix the files (until they are fixed in the original archive) do:

$ find plan9 -not -perm -200 -print0 | xargs -0 chmod u+w

at this point if you have p9p installed you can run the following
command to ensure that you have everything uncompressed without any
errors:

$ 9 bunzip2 < plan9.tar.bz2 | 9 tar xv