* [9fans] disappearing partitions.
@ 2002-05-14 12:12 paurea
From: paurea @ 2002-05-14 12:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I have made a partition in a disk using disk/prep. The partition is called cache
and I made it in /dev/sdC1/cache.
Everything seems to work. I reboot and after that the file cache disappears
from /dev/sdC1. disk/prep sees it, but doesn't appear on an ls.
Doing echo 'part cache 93 182342'> /dev/sdC1/ctl or running prep and writing
gives it back.

Do I have to make anything special for it to persist?.
--
                 Saludos, Gorka

"Curiosity sKilled the cat"

* Re: [9fans] disappearing partitions.
@ 2002-05-14 21:47 ` paurea
From: paurea @ 2002-05-14 21:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Russ Cox writes:
 > is supposed to create the in-memory partition
 > map.  Perhaps you are booting a cpu kernel,
 > which is missing the code?

No I am not, but now I know where they are initialized, I'll look into the issue
(I thought they were there initialized inside the kernel...)
--

@ 2002-05-14 15:49 Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2002-05-14 15:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

What I meant is that cpurc does not contain
those lines.  If you boot a cpu kernel you run
cpurc and thus don't initialize the partitions.
The kernel per se has no code to deal with such
horrors as DOS partition tables.

* Re: [9fans] disappearing partitions.
@ 2002-05-14 15:48 Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2002-05-14 15:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

This code in termrc

	for(disk in /dev/sd??) {
		if(test -f $disk/data && test -f $disk/ctl)
			disk/fdisk -p $disk/data >$disk/ctl >[2]/dev/null
		for(part in $disk/plan9*)
			if(test -f $part)
				disk/prep -p $part >$disk/ctl >[2]/dev/null
	}

is supposed to create the in-memory partition
map.  Perhaps you are booting a cpu kernel,
which is missing the code?

Russ