* Re: Re[4]: [9fans] home, end ^h^j^k^l
@ 2001-05-19  8:48 Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2001-05-19  8:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

there's little function key support.
the function keys only got properly
handled in the keyboard driver two years ago.

the use of escape is a historical choice that i
don't fully understand.  (it's been in sam from
research unix, and i wasn't around then.)  maybe
someone else will comment.

> To: Russ Cox <9fans@cse.psu.edu>

hmm...  that works, i suppose, but it's not
exactly direct.

russ

* Re[6]: [9fans] home, end ^h^j^k^l
@ 2001-05-19  8:59 ` Matt H
From: Matt H @ 2001-05-19  8:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hello Russ,

>> To: Russ Cox <9fans@cse.psu.edu>

oh sorry it's my email program being too clever

same with the subject line re[count++] idea

oh btw

cpu% upas/fs -f/pop3/post.proweb.co.uk/matt
upas/fs: opening mailbox: file does not exist

Which file? Vintage error message :-)
Since my patch problems I don't trust I have the latest version of
anything and that looks like the case here.

--
Best regards,
 Matt                            mailto:matt@proweb.co.uk

* Re: Re[4]: [9fans] home, end ^h^j^k^l
@ 2001-05-19 20:28 ` Boyd Roberts
From: Boyd Roberts @ 2001-05-19 20:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

From: "Russ Cox" <rsc@plan9.bell-labs.com>
> the use of escape is a historical choice that i
> don't fully understand.  (it's been in sam from
> research unix, and i wasn't around then.)  maybe
> someone else will comment.

escape was used to do a select/snarf of text that had just
been typed.  i guess the case described of it cutting selected
text falls out of that principle.  ie.  escape is not a
'character', so the selected text is just cut.

* Re: Re[6]: [9fans] home, end ^h^j^k^l
@ 2001-05-23  9:04     ` Boyd Roberts
From: Boyd Roberts @ 2001-05-23  9:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

i'm suprised this subject hasn't degenerated into a total flamefest.

i think have things like ^c and ^v for copy and paste operations
are definitive proof that the UI is broken.  if it was easy to do
with the mouse why would you have such 'keyboard accelerators'?

i use them, but that's because it's easier than the various turgid
mouse driven GUIs and with a two button trackpad it's easier than
ctrl/tab + right button.  all these are indications of broken
interfaces or limited technology (ie. 2 button mice).

look around.  the 3 button mouse is nearly dead.  the closest seems
to be those horrible 2 1/2 button + wheel things -- ugh.

even with all that code that runs the trackpad i can't get it
to give me a middle button.  well i could [left+right], but then
i run out of fingers with which to select.

* Re[6]: [9fans] home, end ^h^j^k^l
@ 2001-05-23  8:46   ` Matt H
From: Matt H @ 2001-05-23  8:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Randolph Fritz

Hello Randolph,

RF> In article <20010519141427.A5005199C1@mail.cse.psu.edu>, rob pike wrote:
>>
>> Are we settling in?  Does everyone agree that ^C is copy and ^V is
>> paste?
>>

RF> Windows and Mac do...or more precisely, Mac uses command-C and
RF> command-V; windows uses control-C and control-V.  (And Microsoft
RF> changed midstream; their original choices were amazingly hard to type
RF> and remember.)

I still find myself using Shift-Delete for cut, Shift-Insert for copy
and Shift-Insert for paste

I believe ^c ^v & ^x were taken from an IBM UI guide but someone else
might correct me.

--

@ 2001-05-19 14:26 ` Matt H
From: Matt H @ 2001-05-19 14:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hello rob,

rp> If you don't believe me, the story is here:
rp>         http://www.asktog.com/readerMail/1999-12ReaderMail.html
rp> Thanks to some forgotten 9fan who mentioned this a while back.

thanks rob. That has satisfied my curiosity. And that story is
fascinating really.

rp> Before this discussion devolves into the usual silliness, here's
rp> something fun we've been working on.

looks great, good idea.