* [9fans] question about translating /sys/doc/*
@ 2002-05-06 11:21 Andrey S. Kukhar
From: Andrey S. Kukhar @ 2002-05-06 11:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

hello 9fans,
can I translate /sys/doc/* into other languages ; spread my translations under
copyleft with saving Lucent`s copyright

--
regards,
-ask

* Re: [9fans] question about translating /sys/doc/*
@ 2002-05-08 14:17 rob pike, esq.
From: rob pike, esq. @ 2002-05-08 14:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I may have been unclear in my previous mail. It's sufficient to preserve
the Lucent copyright and citation footnotes; the documents don't have to
be protected by the open source license.

-rob

* Re: [9fans] question about translating /sys/doc/*
@ 2002-05-08 14:14 rob pike, esq.
From: rob pike, esq. @ 2002-05-08 14:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> hello 9fans,
> can I translate /sys/doc/* into other languages ; spread my translations under
> copyleft with saving Lucent`s copyright

You have permission to translate the documents as long as you preserve the
copyright notice and don't put it under a different license.  So in short, no, you
can't do what you ask but you can do something else perfectly reasonable.

Many of these papers have copyright arrangements made with their original
publication in conference proceedings and journals, so also make sure you
preserve the footnotes that indicate where they were originally published.

-rob

* Re: [9fans] question about translating /sys/doc/*
@ 2002-05-07  3:24 Dennis Ritchie
From: Dennis Ritchie @ 2002-05-07  3:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

 > can I translate /sys/doc/* into other languages ; spread my translations under
 > copyleft with saving Lucent`s copyright

My take on this is that any translation would be a nice service, and
making them generally available would be too, but avoiding
the word "copyleft" would be advisable.

The Plan 9 license seems quite liberal enough to do what
you propose, without muddying the situation by
mixing in other licenses.

	Dennis