* [9fans] vmware snarf problem
@ 2009-07-30  8:47 roger peppe
From: roger peppe @ 2009-07-30  8:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

continuing my litany of vmware woes:

my vmware snarf buffer doesn't seem to read correctly.

e.g.

term% echo hello > snarf
term% cat snarf
term% pwd
/mnt/vmware
term%

the data is correctly copied into the system (mac os)
snarf buffer, but nothing ever comes back the other way.

unfortunately the source for vmwarefs doesn't seem to
be available, so i can't investigate further.

any ideas?

* Re: [9fans] vmware snarf problem
@ 2009-07-30  9:22 ` roger peppe
From: roger peppe @ 2009-07-30  9:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

actually, i lied when i said that nothing ever comes
out of the snarf buffer. if i copy some text externally
(inside mac os), then i get it, just once, inside plan 9/vmware.
reading it seems to clear it.

e.g.

term% cat /dev/snarf
hello world
term% cat /dev/snarf
term%

@ 2009-07-30  9:34   ` Gorka Guardiola
From: Gorka Guardiola @ 2009-07-30  9:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Thu, Jul 30, 2009 at 11:22 AM, roger peppe<rogpeppe@gmail.com> wrote:
> actually, i lied when i said that nothing ever comes
> out of the snarf buffer. if i copy some text externally
> (inside mac os), then i get it, just once, inside plan 9/vmware.
> reading it seems to clear it.

Isn't this related to the software Russ wrote for vmware (nda
protected) and which stopped being updated?. I know
there was a special snarf for vmware.

--
- curiosity sKilled the cat

* Re: [9fans] vmware snarf problem
@ 2009-07-30 10:20     ` Federico G. Benavento
From: Federico G. Benavento @ 2009-07-30 10:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I found that it's just easier running a cpu server in vmware and drawterm
to it, that way I get snarf working properly, plus I see the files on the
host in /mnt/term

--
Federico G. Benavento

* Re: [9fans] vmware snarf problem
@ 2009-07-30 13:33 ` Dave Eckhardt
From: Dave Eckhardt @ 2009-07-30 13:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> unfortunately the source for vmwarefs doesn't seem to
> be available, so i can't investigate further.

http://9fans.net/archive/2008/12/180

Dave Eckhardt

* Re: [9fans] vmware snarf problem
@ 2009-08-03 14:27     ` Michaelian Ennis
From: Michaelian Ennis @ 2009-08-03 14:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Thu, Jul 30, 2009 at 5:34 AM, Gorka Guardiola<paurea@gmail.com> wrote:
> Isn't this related to the software Russ wrote for vmware (nda
> protected) and which stopped being updated?. I know
> there was a special snarf for vmware.

I contacted VMware to see if I could get hold of the information to
which Russ alluded a while back.  I explained that I was specifically
interested in getting cut and paste to work between Plan/Fusion/OS X I
was told that this information is not confidential and is available at

http://open-vm-tools.sourceforge.net/

This looked like another " the hardware documentation is the linux
driver" case to me -- an answer I seem to get more and more these
days.  Not really knowing what to look for and sure I'm not in a
position to fix it myself here is is where I left off the trail.

Ian

* Re: [9fans] vmware snarf problem
@ 2009-08-03 14:59       ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2009-08-03 14:59 UTC (permalink / raw)