* Re: [9fans] Russian Hanger 18 Keyboards
@ 2002-09-30 18:18 Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2002-09-30 18:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> according to rsc no one at BL is getting paid to work on P9 anymore... dat
> true?

It's true.  As I said, the Plan 9 distribution is a spare time project.
All the people who work on it are currently getting paid to do other
things that are more vital to Lucent's existence.  Some of these things
are related to Plan 9, but work on Plan 9 for its own sake isn't going
to help Lucent any.

> I know things haven't been creamy and peachy for sometime now, but have
> things gone for the worse or is rsc simply restating the facts?

It's been this way for a while.  Nothing new here.  Factotum was the
last big addition to Plan 9.  That was a while ago.  There continue
to be fixes of various kinds, since they're necessary to keep using
the system.  And spare time is not the same as no time.  Look at the
list of files that have changed in the last month.  /dist/replica/client/plan9.log
There's still plenty going on.

> if yes, then...? has lucent killed off P9 already and we simply don't know it?
>
> should we be alarmed?

What does "killed off" mean?  The distribution is still hosted
on those servers, and the whole point of having an open source
distribution is that if for whatever reason Lucent stops hosting
it, someone else could easily pick it up.  All the tools we use
to distribute it are in the distribution.  Lucent _can't_ kill
off Plan 9.

Russ

* Re: [9fans] Russian Hanger 18 Keyboards
@ 2002-09-30 13:47 ` andrey mirtchovski
From: andrey mirtchovski @ 2002-09-30 13:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I think there was a very important little fact that got lost in the noise --
according to rsc no one at BL is getting paid to work on P9 anymore... dat
true?

if yes, then...? has lucent killed off P9 already and we simply don't know it?

should we be alarmed?

I know things haven't been creamy and peachy for sometime now, but have
things gone for the worse or is rsc simply restating the facts?

andrey

On Mon, 30 Sep 2002 presotto@plan9.bell-labs.com wrote:

> I missed the original messages, assuming there were some.  I just
> read 13 or so messages whose complete content seems to be:

[snip]

* Re: [9fans] Russian Hanger 18 Keyboards
@ 2002-09-30 13:10 ` Boyd Roberts
From: Boyd Roberts @ 2002-09-30 13:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Would that not be found at Zvezdny Gorodok [Star City]?

    http://www.airspacemuseum.ru/star.html

* [9fans] Russian Hanger 18 Keyboards
@ 2002-09-30 12:50 presotto
From: presotto @ 2002-09-30 12:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I missed the original messages, assuming there were some.  I just
read 13 or so messages whose complete content seems to be:

>>> I'm right, You're wrong and an idiot to boot
>>
>> No I'm right, you're the idiot, and hate competition
>
> No, no, no.  I'm right and you haven't read the previous 30 messages

I'm sure this is a very important debate and that I'm clearly at fault
for having ignored the original barrage, but it doesn't seem to be
going anywhere at the moment.  Could we have a 1 week time out to
consider more cogent responses before the next exchange?