* [9fans] Another new user question
@ 2008-03-02 19:32 Phil Kassner
From: Phil Kassner @ 2008-03-02 19:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans, 9fans

* Re: [9fans] Another new user question
@ 2008-03-02 20:05 ` Pietro Gagliardi
From: Pietro Gagliardi @ 2008-03-02 20:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Philo565, Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Mar 2, 2008, at 2:32 PM, Phil Kassner wrote:

> I've been using Plan 9 for one week now and have gotten FTP
> working. Installed Abaco and gotten that working, plus have Inferno
> installed
> but have more questions of course.
>
> 1) Is there a way one can write to a mounted filesystem?

You usually mount a filesystem to a folder in /n. Just use that
folder as you would do the rest of the filesystem.

> Just for example, if I wanted to put an executable in /bin ...how
> would that be done?

/bin is NOT a mounted directory. It is a bound directory. /bin would
be bound to four places:
	- /$objtype/bin - system executables
	- /rc/bin - system shell scripts
	- $home/bin/$objtype - user executables
	- $home/bin/rc - user shell scripts
You choose. See bind(1) for details.

> 2) To mount a cdrom I know I can start 9660srv...
> but how would I mount another HD? I did not see any other
> filesystem servers.

Depends on the filesystem. If it's fossil, see fossil(4). If it's FAT
on USB, use usbfat: The choices are endless, if you know how.

@ 2008-03-02 20:32 ` Charles Forsyth
From: Charles Forsyth @ 2008-03-02 20:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Philo565, 9fans

> 1) Is there a way one can write to a mounted filesystem?
>
> Just for example, if I wanted to put an executable in /bin...how would
> that be done?

/bin is an empty directory that is then populated by a sequence of binds (you
can find them in /lib/namespace and your own lib/profile).  so first you work
out which one of those you'd like to hold the file (ie, global or just your own private bin).
it will typically be one of /$objtype/bin or $home/bin/$objtype for compiled programs
and /rc/bin or $home/bin/rc for rc scripts.  copy the new command to one of those.

in general, given a union mount, files are created in the top-most bind or mount that
was bound or mounted using the -c option to allow creation.  none of the files
bound to /bin have that option so the resulting directory disallows creation.

having typed all that in i see that pietro gagliardi has already answered but i'll send this anyway.

> 2) To mount a cdrom I know I can start 9660srv...
> but how would I mount another HD? I did not see any other
> filesystem servers.

if a program's primary purpose is to act as a file server, it can be found in section 4 of
the manual, so have a browse through that.  some others, including those in ndb(8)
provide a service by serving some files, but that's just the interface so they are documented
wherever the service would naturally belong.  (section 8 is admin, which must surely include DNS.)

* Re: [9fans] Another new user question
@ 2008-03-02 20:58 philo
From: philo @ 2008-03-02 20:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Charles Forsyth; +Cc: 9fans

> 1) Is there a way one can write to a mounted filesystem?
>
> Just for example, if I wanted to put an executable in /bin...how would
> that be done?

/bin is an empty directory that is then populated by a sequence of binds (you
can find them in /lib/namespace and your own lib/profile).  so first you work
out which one of those you'd like to hold the file (ie, global or just your own private bin).
it will typically be one of /$objtype/bin or $home/bin/$objtype for compiled programs
and /rc/bin or $home/bin/rc for rc scripts.  copy the new command to one of those.

in general, given a union mount, files are created in the top-most bind or mount that
was bound or mounted using the -c option to allow creation.  none of the files
bound to /bin have that option so the resulting directory disallows creation.

having typed all that in i see that pietro gagliardi has already answered but i'll send this anyway.

> 2) To mount a cdrom I know I can start 9660srv...
> but how would I mount another HD? I did not see any other
> filesystem servers.

if a program's primary purpose is to act as a file server, it can be found in section 4 of
the manual, so have a browse through that.  some others, including those in ndb(8)
provide a service by serving some files, but that's just the interface so they are documented
wherever the service would naturally belong.  (section 8 is admin, which must surely include DNS.)

Thank you I have now downloaded the manual

-. www.tuol.org .-