From: a@9srv.net
To: 9fans <9fans@9fans.net>
Subject: Re: [9fans] Content of your /rc/bin/service or /dis/svc ?
Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2024 17:47:26 -0500	[thread overview]

I wonder what percentage of people who reply are going to be running a finger server they wrote. :-) My tcp79 comes from my implementation, here: http://txtpunk.com/finger/index.html

I think we've got enough interoperable unicode-aware implementations we can start working on the update to the RFC now.

I have a service which allows some unix hosts I run to submit vac scores after they perform a backup to my venti; a slightly outdated version is here: https://9p.io/sources/contrib/anothy/bin/rc/tcp17038

tcp411 calls pqsrv, I think the same version as on the "extra" page: http://9p.io/sources/extra/

I usually have at least one "poor man's nat traversal" thing running with aux/trampoline.

I love how easy aux/listen makes sticking trivial little services up on the net. I used to have one that provided a menu of MUDs to connect to. Another gave the weather, as the telnet service at Weather Underground started to go unmaintained (of course, mine used darksky, which is now also defunct). I made a little text-based zine server (inspired by Cara Esten's https://github.com/caraesten/dial_a_zine, which powered the things at anewsession.com); that's up, although very lightly used: http://txtpunk.com/zine/ <http://txtpunk.com/zine/index.html>

Before life got away from me last year, I was trying to get a VoIP bridge working so I could plug a POTS line into my modem and get telcodata working again. I think 'cp tcp2323 telcodata' should be enough to make that zine server dialable. (Sadly, I've only gotten the bridge to *place* calls over my crummy DSL line.)

As a young unix sysadmin back in the 1900s, aux/listen was one of the first things that caught my eye about Plan 9, in comparison to inetd and the direction everyone else was headed from there. Certainly the growth (in multiple senses) of systemd has only tightened my grip on that particular tool.