From: sirjofri <sirjofri+ml-9fans@sirjofri.de>
To: 9fans <9fans@9fans.net>
Subject: Re: [9fans] Content of your /rc/bin/service or /dis/svc ?
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2024 13:52:55 +0100 (GMT+01:00)	[thread overview]

06.03.2024 11:36:39 Edouard Klein <edou@rdklein.fr>:

> sirjofri <sirjofri+ml-9fans@sirjofri.de> writes:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> 05.03.2024 22:38:59 Edouard Klein <edou@rdklein.fr>:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Thank you for your answer.

>>> I assume that you then bind-mount /cfg/machinename/service to that
>>> machine's /rc/bin/service ?
>>
>> Nope, because bind would only change my own namespace (or I have to bind it becore aux/listen starts).
>>
>> In fact, it's much easier. I don't know if it's a 9front feature or if it's also
>> in plan 9, but if there is a /cfg/$sysname/service directory it will use that
>> instead of /rc/bin/service (see the cpurc file,
>> https://git.9front.org/plan9front/plan9front/36478171be59721dcc5252043fe2955cb37fc9b3/rc/bin/cpurc/f.html
>> ).
>>
> Thanks, I had missed it because there is no /cfg in the source. Do you
> happen to know how the /cfg dir is first populated during install ? Is
> it all hand-written by the user ?

I think it is all hand-written, yes. Take a look at cpurc and what the options are. Most notably, the service directory, cpustart, and the plan9.ini file for tftp booting (iirc, I never tried it).

>> If you think about how plan 9 should run on a network, imagine a single fs with
>> many cpu servers all using the same fs. All the configuration is on the fs, and
>> the service directories are in the /cfg/machinename/service. The cpu servers
>> will run their individual configuration automatically using that mechanism. It
>> just makes sense.
>>

> Indeed it does.

>>> Would you mind sharing your fingerd and irc server ? For finger my plan
>>> is to turn this one:
>>> https://github.com/michael-lazar/finger2020/blob/master/finger2020 into
>>> a multi-user version, but if there already is one I won't bother.
>>
>> Sure, here it is:
>>
>> https://shithub.us/sirjofri/fingerd/HEAD/info.html
>>
>> Note that I got some notice of potential .. path issues and I'm not sure if I
>> fixed that, but just in case, you might want to fix that (and maybe send me a
>> patch). Fix could be as easy as a newns or what it is in C.
>>

> I'll try to compile it on Linux and will let you know :)

Well, it's designed for plan 9 systems, so you're probably out of luck on linux, except you try it with plan9ports.

While we're talking about finger, I wrote some simple android app called "FingerList" some time ago (on F-droid). It displays a list of fingers in a list format, it's intended for micro social networking with status pages and whatever people want to use it for.

sirjofri