* Re: [9fans] VMWare floppy bug
@ 2002-09-16 20:03 Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2002-09-16 20:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> > Also related with VMWare, is there any way to make plan9 free the
> > cursor when it reaches the margin of the window? (like on windows or linux
> > do when you install thw VMWare tools).  To get the cursor trapped is
> > annoying.
>
>   Only if you can get VMware to write a "Plan9 Toolbox"  The utility
> that does that runs in the VM, not the host OS.  Bummer for us.

Not really.  I have the documentation I need.  Just have to write it.

Russ

* Re: [9fans] VMWare floppy bug
@ 2002-09-16 18:25 ` Doc Shipley
From: Doc Shipley @ 2002-09-16 18:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Mon, 16 Sep 2002 paurea@gsyc.escet.urjc.es wrote:

> The floppy on the vmware (running under linux, vmware version 3.1)
> gives random errors. I have noticed it while making boot floppys using
> cat ndisk>/dev/fd0. They usually (something like 3 times out of 4)
> give a CRC error while booting. I also get I/O errors "floppy changed
> during operation" from the linux kernel (they keep repeating while the
> vmware is on, but they seem to happen with other os's and I have never
> had any problem using the floppy with them, though that may be caused
> by not enough testing). Has anyone noticed this too?. Is it a vmware
> problem or plan9 problem?. Any idea of how to solve it?

  The I/O errors are a vmware thing.  I haven't tried making floppies in
the Plan9 VM, but in other clients its mostly harmless.  It *is* quite
annoying.

> Also related with VMWare, is there any way to make plan9 free the
> cursor when it reaches the margin of the window? (like on windows or linux
> do when you install thw VMWare tools).  To get the cursor trapped is
> annoying.

  Only if you can get VMware to write a "Plan9 Toolbox"  The utility
that does that runs in the VM, not the host OS.  Bummer for us.

	Doc

* Re: [9fans] VMWare floppy bug
@ 2002-09-16 18:18 Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2002-09-16 18:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Also related with VMWare, is there any way to make plan9 free the
> cursor when it reaches the margin of the window? (like on windows or linux
> do when you install thw VMWare tools).  To get the cursor trapped is
> annoying.

Yes, but I have to write the code.  I signed an NDA with VMware
to get the appropriate bits (I can give out binaries, like aux/isvmware),
but I haven't written that code yet.  I really want that feature too.

Russ

* [9fans] VMWare floppy bug
@ 2002-09-16 17:38 paurea
From: paurea @ 2002-09-16 17:38 UTC (permalink / raw)