* [9fans] No output with troff \N'nnn'
@ 2004-06-28 15:17 Greg Pavelcak
From: Greg Pavelcak @ 2004-06-28 15:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

When I try to produce a character using \N'nnn' and run the
file through troff | aux/tr2post >cthefile.ps, I don't get
any character output. I have looked at the output of troff
itself, and it is producing Nnnn, so I went to tr2post.
I see this in conv.c

	case 'N':	/* print character with numeric value from current font */
			Bgetfield(Bp, 'd', &n, 0);
			break;

Is there something missing there? Like some command to actually
output the character? Or am I simply barking up the wrong
tree here.

I can continue to look, but I thought the solution might
be obvious to one of you.

Thanks.

Greg

* Re: [9fans] Install and Posting Issues
@ 2004-06-29 16:07 ` jj
From: jj @ 2004-06-29 16:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hi,

This is not related to troff, but it seems I am unable to post to this
list directly, so I'll try this alternative way. (if anybody has info
on why straight posting doesn't work, please let me know because I
just do not understand why I can't...specially with all the spam that
goes on)

Anyway,
I mailed this before and I hope this time it'll be posted and I'll get
some help. Thanks a lot.

jj

Previous non-posted mail:
======== START ========
Hi,

I am encountering problems with my newly installed plan9. There is
couple of messages that troubles me and mainly the vga is not working.
I put the messages I get below.

I scanned the archive, and saw Russ answer about adding a line in
vgadb in the bootfloppy...This file is not there on my boot floppy
(nor in the file system using du -a | grep vgadb).

Any help would be greatly appreciated since I went through some
trouble already (linux lilo/mbr....) and I want to have this install
completed.

Thanks.

  jj

PS: I am confused about why the install rio window is working but not
the normal one using aux/vga after install. If it's working during the
install, shouldn't it work after? Doesn't it mean that my video card
is supported ?

MESSAGES AT LOGIN:
==================
user[none]: glenda

fossil(#S/sdC0/fossil)...version...time...

init: starting /bin/rc
aux/timesync: '/bin/aux/vmware' does not exist
aux/vmware: '/bin/aux/vmware' does not exist
aux/mouse: '/bin/aux/mouse' does not exist
aux/vga: '/bin/aux/vga' does not exist
dossrv: serving #s/dos
/usr/glenda/lib/plumbing:5: can't open /sys/lib/plumb/basic for
inclusion

plumber: parse error
rio: can't open display: initdisplay: /dev/draw/new: no frame buffer
init: rc exit status: rio 23: display open

init starting /bin/rc
term%
======== END ========

Rgrds,

 jj

* Re: [9fans] Install and Posting Issues
@ 2004-06-29 16:39   ` andrey mirtchovski
From: andrey mirtchovski @ 2004-06-29 16:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

sounds very likely that your installation did not complete fully (the
other option is that it's mounting the wrong fossil, but do you have
two disks?).

vgadb should be found in /lib/vgadb after a proper install, and of
course /bin/aux/vga should be there too...  can you execute commands
such as 'ls' (your log indicates that you should be able to)?  that
would mean that your namespace is formed properly and /386/bin/aux is
bound as /bin/aux. what can you see in /386/bin/aux?

you're fine otherwise though -- if you did the install with rio then
your vga card is recognized.  you'll be able to use rio as soon as you
find where the install put /386/bin/aux/vga ;)