* Re: [9fans] blue-ish backgrounds in 24 bit drawterm?
@ 2002-06-14 16:15 andrey mirtchovski
From: andrey mirtchovski @ 2002-06-14 16:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> but this is completely different.  if vnc is running in
> 8bpp then so is drawterm.  you have trouble here
> too, but i'm not so surprised by color map trouble.

i rarely have to use it so i wasn't too bothered by it...  just
thought it may give you an insight..

* Re: [9fans] blue-ish backgrounds in 24 bit drawterm?
@ 2002-06-14 16:15 Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2002-06-14 16:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

but this is completely different.  if vnc is running in
8bpp then so is drawterm.  you have trouble here
too, but i'm not so surprised by color map trouble.

russ

* Re: [9fans] blue-ish backgrounds in 24 bit drawterm?
@ 2002-06-14 15:48 andrey mirtchovski
From: andrey mirtchovski @ 2002-06-14 15:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> drawterm doesn't do a great job detecting byte order,
> but you shouldn't get blue.  i'm not sure what krgb would do.

here's a scrshot -- freebsd drawterm in my p9's vnc vindow.  the vnc
is running (i think) in 8bpp, the plan9 machine that displays the vnc
window is in 32bpp mode..

hope that helps

[-- Attachment #2: drawterm-colors.gif --]
[-- Type: image/gif, Size: 6395 bytes --]

* Re: [9fans] blue-ish backgrounds in 24 bit drawterm?
@ 2002-06-14 15:44 Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2002-06-14 15:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2002-06-14 15:18 ` Axel Belinfante
From: Axel Belinfante @ 2002-06-14 15:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Before I delve deeper, maybe someone has an immediate clue:
> after I switched screendepth on X to 24, I get blue-ish colors
> where I usually have the orange ones.

What I mean to say here is that the background color is wrong,
even though the foreground looks fine (as far as I have tested --
is there a simple standard application that 'generates' fg and bg
colors?)
It looks like in the background the R and the B values get intermixed.
I get a blueish background in the rio menus,
I get R=0 G=234 B=255 in acme body (I would expect R=255 G=234 B=0);
in acme tag I get R=0, G=255, B=255;
B1 selection in tag gives me background R=0, G=238, B=238,
B1 selection in body gives me background R=0, G=158, B=238

Im running this on the 3d videa card of a sunblade 100, solaris 2.8,
using /usr/openwin/bin/X with defdepth 24 defclass TrueColor.

I see that xscreenchan gets set to CHAN4(...), the equivalent of
XRGB32. In initmap the default byte order check fails, so
XRGB32 gets mapped to XBGR32.

Changing initmap to map XRGB32 onto ABGR32 gives me a greenish
background in the rio menus, and a pink background in acme
window body (R=255, G=234, B=255) and an almost black acme tag
background (R=19, G=19, B=19).
B1 selection in tag gives me background R=255, G=238, B=238,
B1 selection in body gives me background R=255, G=158, B=238

The most workable result I get by changing initmap to map XRGB32
onto GRGB32 (CHAN4(Cgrey, 8, ...), which gives me grey backgrounds.

Ahem... Help, anyone?!? :-)
Thanks for reading anyway, if you have read this far - or even less :-)

Axel.

* [9fans] blue-ish backgrounds in 24 bit drawterm?
@ 2002-06-14 10:52 Axel Belinfante
From: Axel Belinfante @ 2002-06-14 10:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Before I delve deeper, maybe someone has an immediate clue:
after I switched screendepth on X to 24, I get blue-ish colors
where I usually have the orange ones. (in case it changed:
I compiled an 'early' 4ed drawterm; applied to nagle patch
by hand). Xwininfo output follows below.

Thanks,
Axel.

Xwininfo reports the following:

xwininfo: Window id: 0x36 (the root window) (has no name)

  Absolute upper-left X:  0
  Absolute upper-left Y:  0
  Relative upper-left X:  0
  Relative upper-left Y:  0
  Width: 1280
  Height: 1024
  Depth: 24
  Visual Class: TrueColor
  Border width: 0
  Class: InputOutput
  Colormap: 0x33 (not installed)
  Bit Gravity State: ForgetGravity
  Window Gravity State: NorthWestGravity
  Backing Store State: NotUseful
  Save Under State: no
  Map State: IsViewable
  Override Redirect State: no
  Corners:  +0+0  -0+0  -0-0  +0-0
  -geometry 1280x1024+0+0

xwininfo: Window id: 0x4000001 "drawterm"

  Absolute upper-left X:  45
  Absolute upper-left Y:  40
  Relative upper-left X:  0
  Relative upper-left Y:  21
  Width: 960
  Height: 768
  Depth: 24
  Visual Class: TrueColor
  Border width: 0
  Class: InputOutput
  Colormap: 0x33 (not installed)
  Bit Gravity State: ForgetGravity
  Window Gravity State: NorthWestGravity
  Backing Store State: NotUseful
  Save Under State: no
  Map State: IsViewable
  Override Redirect State: no
  Corners:  +45+40  -275+40  -275-216  +45-216
  -geometry 960x768+43+17