* [9fans] Get the message number
@ 2004-04-26  8:11 Matthias Teege
From: Matthias Teege @ 2004-04-26  8:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Moin,

I read my mail with faces and nedmail. Sometimes I try to copy
the content of the mail to an local document. But I can't use snarf
because VMware doesn't support it.

So I write the mail to a tempfile with "w" and read the tempfile
from sam. I think it is easier to get the mail direct from /mail/fs but
"=" in nedmail only gives me 1 as message number. I think, this is
because faces.

Is there anyway to get the "real" message number in nedmail /faces?

Matthias

* Re: [9fans] Get the message number
@ 2004-04-26  8:28 ` Philippe Anel
From: Philippe Anel @ 2004-04-26  8:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

At 10:11 26/04/04, you wrote:
>Moin,
>
>I read my mail with faces and nedmail. Sometimes I try to copy
>the content of the mail to an local document. But I can't use snarf
>because VMware doesn't support it.

It works here. You have to start the undocumented /386/bin/aux/vmwarefs
cmd. [then take a look at /mnt/vmware/snarf]

         Philippe,

@ 2004-04-26  9:48   ` Matthias Teege
From: Matthias Teege @ 2004-04-26  9:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Mon Apr 26 08:54:45 GMT 2004, philippe.anel@noos.fr wrote:
> It works here. You have to start the undocumented /386/bin/aux/vmwarefs
> cmd. [then take a look at /mnt/vmware/snarf]

Cool, i disabled aux/vmware in termrc and now I can snarf/paste
between rio and sam and acme snarf/paste work to.

Thanks

@ 2004-04-26 10:23     ` Philippe Anel
From: Philippe Anel @ 2004-04-26 10:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

At 11:48 26/04/04, you wrote:
>On Mon Apr 26 08:54:45 GMT 2004, philippe.anel@noos.fr wrote:
> > It works here. You have to start the undocumented /386/bin/aux/vmwarefs
> > cmd. [then take a look at /mnt/vmware/snarf]
>
>Cool, i disabled aux/vmware in termrc and now I can snarf/paste
>between rio and sam and acme snarf/paste work to.

I don't understand. I'm using plan9, vmware and aux/vmware and I haven't
problem with the snarf buffer.
Could you start aux/vmware again and try the following commands ?

         echo -n 'hello' > /dev/snarf
         cat /dev/snarf
         cat /mnt/vmware/snarf

         echo -n 'world' > /mnt/vmware/snarf
         cat /dev/snarf
         cat /mnt/vmware/snarf

Regards,
         Philippe.

* Re: [9fans] Get the message number
@ 2004-04-26 11:00       ` Matthias Teege
From: Matthias Teege @ 2004-04-26 11:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Mon Apr 26 10:34:58 GMT 2004, philippe.anel@noos.fr wrote:
> I don't understand. I'm using plan9, vmware and aux/vmware and I haven't
> problem with the snarf buffer.
> Could you start aux/vmware again and try the following commands ?

term% aux/vmware
term% echo -n 'hello' > /dev/snarf
term% cat /dev/snarf
term% cat /mnt/vmware/snarf
term% echo -n 'world' > /mnt/vmware/snarf
term% cat /dev/snarf
term% cat /mnt/vmware/snarf
term% ps ax | grep vmware
mtg             480    0:00   0:00     136K Pread    vmwarefs

Matthias

* Re: [9fans] Get the message number (aux/vmware fix ?)
@ 2004-04-26 14:28         ` Philippe Anel
From: Philippe Anel @ 2004-04-26 14:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

At 13:00 26/04/04, you wrote:
>On Mon Apr 26 10:34:58 GMT 2004, philippe.anel@noos.fr wrote:
> > I don't understand. I'm using plan9, vmware and aux/vmware and I haven't
> > problem with the snarf buffer.
> > Could you start aux/vmware again and try the following commands ?
>
>term% aux/vmware
>term% echo -n 'hello' > /dev/snarf
>term% cat /dev/snarf
>term% cat /mnt/vmware/snarf
>term% echo -n 'world' > /mnt/vmware/snarf
>term% cat /dev/snarf
>term% cat /mnt/vmware/snarf
>term% ps ax | grep vmware
>mtg             480    0:00   0:00     136K Pread    vmwarefs

Ok, it seems you disabled Cut and Paste from and to the virtual
machine. Right ?
I suspect a bug from aux/vmwarefs which fails to back copy to
/dev/snarf, the value written to /mnt/vmware/snarf, when Cut
and Paste is disabled from and to the virtual machine.
Could you try the following aux/vmware script :

-------------------------------------------------------cut-----
#!/bin/rc

if(aux/isvmware -s){
         if(test -f '#P/pge'){
                 echo -n on >'#P/pge'    # default, but set anyway.
                 echo -n off >'#P/i8253timerset'
         }
         if(test -f /dev/archctl){
                 echo pge on >/dev/archctl
                 echo coherence nop >/dev/archctl
                 echo i8253set off >/dev/archctl
         }
         for(i in '#S'/sd??)
                 if(test -f $i/ctl)
                         echo dma on >$i/ctl
         echo 'starting vmwarefs'
         aux/vmwarefs
         if(test -f '/mnt/vmware/gui') {
                 x=`{ grep copypaste /mnt/vmware/gui }
                 if(~ $x(2) on){
                         if(! test -f /dev/snarf)
                                 aux/stub /dev/snarf
                         echo 'binding /mnt/vmware/snarf over /dev/snarf'
                         bind /mnt/vmware/snarf /dev/snarf
                 }
         }
         echo 'starting vmmousepoll'
         aux/vmmousepoll &
}
-------------------------------------------------------cut-----

Regards,
         Philippe.

* Re: [9fans] Get the message number (aux/vmware fix ?)
@ 2004-04-26 15:15           ` Matthias Teege
From: Matthias Teege @ 2004-04-26 15:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Mon Apr 26 14:50:01 GMT 2004, philippe.anel@noos.fr wrote:
> Ok, it seems you disabled Cut and Paste from and to the virtual
> machine. Right ?

Yes, because there are problems with other apps.

> I suspect a bug from aux/vmwarefs which fails to back copy to
> /dev/snarf, the value written to /mnt/vmware/snarf, when Cut
> and Paste is disabled from and to the virtual machine.
> Could you try the following aux/vmware script :

H run your script with cut/paste enabled and disabled in vmware.

VMware c/p enabled
term% ./srf
starting vmwarefs
binding /mnt/vmware/snarf over /dev/snarf
starting vmmousepoll

VMware c/p disabled
term% ./srf
starting vmwarefs
starting vmmousepoll

In both cases snarf/paste from rio to sam or acme don't work.

@ 2004-04-26 15:39             ` Philippe Anel
From: Philippe Anel @ 2004-04-26 15:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

At 17:15 26/04/04, you wrote:
>On Mon Apr 26 14:50:01 GMT 2004, philippe.anel@noos.fr wrote:
> > Ok, it seems you disabled Cut and Paste from and to the virtual
> > machine. Right ?
>
>Yes, because there are problems with other apps.
>
> > I suspect a bug from aux/vmwarefs which fails to back copy to
> > /dev/snarf, the value written to /mnt/vmware/snarf, when Cut
> > and Paste is disabled from and to the virtual machine.
> > Could you try the following aux/vmware script :
>
>H run your script with cut/paste enabled and disabled in vmware.
>
>VMware c/p enabled
>term% ./srf
>starting vmwarefs
>binding /mnt/vmware/snarf over /dev/snarf
>starting vmmousepoll
>
>VMware c/p disabled
>term% ./srf
>starting vmwarefs
>starting vmmousepoll
>
>In both cases snarf/paste from rio to sam or acme don't work.

:(
Did you rebooted the vm between each test ?
Could you execute this script from termrc (ie before rio) ?
Could you execute the command "/bin/ns | grep snarf" after each test ?
Regards,
         Philippe.

@ 2004-04-26 16:45               ` Matthias Teege
From: Matthias Teege @ 2004-04-26 16:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

At 17:15 26/04/04, you wrote:
> Did you rebooted the vm between each test ?

Yes,  and power off the virtuell machine. ;-)

> Could you execute this script from termrc (ie before rio) ?

Yes, I put it in lib/profile and can see the messages at boottime

	fn term%{ $* }
	/usr/mtg/srf
	exec rio -i riostart

and there is the aux/vmware in termrc

	if(! ~ `{cat /dev/user} none)
		aux/vmware

> Could you execute the command "/bin/ns | grep snarf" after each test ?

disbaled
< /bin/ns | grep snarf
bind  /mnt/vmware/snarf /dev/snarf

enabled
bind  /mnt/vmware/snarf /dev/snarf

I have a second vmware running. It is a p9 cpu/auth server. Maybe
this is the problem. Copy and Paste is disabled in this instance.

@ 2004-04-26 17:50                 ` Philippe Anel
From: Philippe Anel @ 2004-04-26 17:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> > Could you execute the command "/bin/ns | grep snarf" after each test ?
>
>disbaled
>< /bin/ns | grep snarf
>bind  /mnt/vmware/snarf /dev/snarf

So, aux/vmware was started.

>enabled
>bind  /mnt/vmware/snarf /dev/snarf
>
>I have a second vmware running. It is a p9 cpu/auth server.

Are both running the same filesystem ?

>Maybe
>this is the problem. Copy and Paste is disabled in this instance.

Ok. Could you test my script with both your p9 terminal vm and p9
cpu/auth ? I suggest you to rename aux/vmware and replace it with my
script.

         Philippe.

@ 2004-04-27  5:43                   ` Matthias Teege
From: Matthias Teege @ 2004-04-27  5:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Mon Apr 26 18:14:57 GMT 2004, philippe.anel@noos.fr wrote:
> >I have a second vmware running. It is a p9 cpu/auth server.
>
> Are both running the same filesystem ?

Hmm, both are connected to my fileserver.

> Ok. Could you test my script with both your p9 terminal vm and p9
> cpu/auth ? I suggest you to rename aux/vmware and replace it with my
> script.

I'll try it but on the cpu server aux/vmware is not started via cuprc
as default. First I replace aux/vmware in termrc with your script
on the terminal.

@ 2004-04-27  6:09                   ` Matthias Teege
From: Matthias Teege @ 2004-04-27  6:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Mon Apr 26 18:14:57 GMT 2004, philippe.anel@noos.fr wrote:
> Ok. Could you test my script with both your p9 terminal vm and p9
> cpu/auth ? I suggest you to rename aux/vmware and replace it with my
> script.

Ok, I put your script in the termrc and see the messages at
boottime. If I enabled c/p in the vm I can copy and paste
trough the vm (rio, sam) but not between rio and sam.

If I disable c/p in vm I can snarf and paste between rio and
sam and acme work to but I cant copy from outside (which
maybe ok).

@ 2004-04-27  8:48                     ` Philippe Anel
From: Philippe Anel @ 2004-04-27  8:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

At 08:09 27/04/04, you wrote:
>On Mon Apr 26 18:14:57 GMT 2004, philippe.anel@noos.fr wrote:
> > Ok. Could you test my script with both your p9 terminal vm and p9
> > cpu/auth ? I suggest you to rename aux/vmware and replace it with my
> > script.
>
>Ok, I put your script in the termrc and see the messages at
>boottime. If I enabled c/p in the vm I can copy and paste
>trough the vm (rio, sam) but not between rio and sam.

so, <rio> cmd (in button 2 menu) doesn't work in this case ?

>If I disable c/p in vm I can snarf and paste between rio and
>sam and acme work to but I cant copy from outside (which
>maybe ok).

Ok. But if someone has the vmwarefs sources, it would be better
to fix the bug.

         Philippe.

@ 2004-04-27 10:58                       ` Matthias Teege
From: Matthias Teege @ 2004-04-27 10:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Tue Apr 27 09:09:50 GMT 2004, philippe.anel@noos.fr wrote:
> >trough the vm (rio, sam) but not between rio and sam.
>
> so, <rio> cmd (in button 2 menu) doesn't work in this case ?

It works, but only for "external" content. "<rio> paste" paste
content from outside to sam. Snarf/Paste between rio and
sam doesn't work and snarf/paste in acme doesn't work to.

If I disable c/p in the vmware vm or disable vmwarefs
completly, then I can snarf/paste between rio and sam or run
snarp/paste in acme but I can't copy from outside to rio, sam
or acme. Snarf/Paste between rio windows work in any case.

Matthias