* your mail
@ 1997-05-02 16:27 Digby
From: Digby @ 1997-05-02 16:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

>>>If it really is just an evolution of plan9, then maybe the best option
>>>would be offer upgrades to Inferno for Plan9 licensees, at a reduced
>
>the source for Plan 9 is published `like a book'.
>the source for Inferno most certainly is not.

It has been pointed out to me that 'Brazil' is the successor
to plan9 that I was thinking about, not Inferno.

Source availability is a good point, though, and I assume it
applies to Brazil as well.

Has any information been made available about Brazil as yet?

Regards,
DigbyT
--
Digby R. S. Tarvin                                              digbyt@acm.org
http://www.users.dircon.co.uk/~cthulhu/

* your mail
@ 1996-06-07 23:20 Scott
From: Scott @ 1996-06-07 23:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Michael C. Montero" <mcm7738@is2.NYU.EDU> writes:
| unsubscribe

Ok, let's try it again:  unsubscribe messages sent to 9fans will be
ignored, while messages sent to 9fans-request will be automatically
processed.

* your mail
@ 1996-06-07 22:03 Michael
From: Michael @ 1996-06-07 22:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

unsubscribe

* your mail
@ 1996-01-18 13:10 forsyth
From: forsyth @ 1996-01-18 13:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

>>Seriously: After Rob Pike was spreading the "good news" last year that
>>Plan 9 will be made publicly available, I'm curious what the Bell Labs
>>guys have to tell us this time.  ...

but now that it's public, why should they have to do all the work?
are there some actual users actually outside the labs
that have done something interesting they could describe?

* your mail
@ 1996-01-18  9:43 Martin
From: Martin @ 1996-01-18  9:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

> are many 9fans going to Usenix next week?

No, seems too late for going now, I'll take an airplane :-)

Seriously: After Rob Pike was spreading the "good news" last year that
Plan 9 will be made publicly available, I'm curious what the Bell Labs
guys have to tell us this time.  Maybe something about Brazil ...?

* your mail
@ 1996-01-18  8:31 Arie
From: Arie @ 1996-01-18  8:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

> are many 9fans going to Usenix next week?

Me too ...

  -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
        ___ ___ ___             Arie Blumenzweig
    __ /__ /  //_               nSOF Parallel Software Ltd.
   / /___//__//                 48800 Givat Hashlosha, Israel
                                Tel: +972 (3) 938-8551
   blumzi@nsof.co.il            Fax: +972 (3) 938-8552
  -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

* your mail
@ 1995-08-30 12:46 Stephen
From: Stephen @ 1995-08-30 12:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

If I recall, a 16552 is a pair of 16550-style UARTs plus a parallel
port in a single plastic quad flat pack.  PC makers like it because it
puts the usual PC I/O complement on one chip.  I haven't seen many
"16550" serial cards lately that actually use '550s.  Most are using
integrated components like the '552.

                Stephen

--
Stephen Trier              "Dessine-moi un mutton"
trier@ins.cwru.edu                  - Le Petit Prince

* your mail
@ 1995-08-30  3:14 Berny
From: Berny @ 1995-08-30  3:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

Original attachment posted by Borja Marcos:

> > The shipped driver supports fifo's.  The comment at the top
> > says 16450 but we typically use 16552's.  The code will turn

Just as a matter of interest what is the difference between a 16552 and
a 16550? I never heard of the 16552.

* your mail
@ 1995-08-30  0:04 Borja
From: Borja @ 1995-08-30  0:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

> The shipped driver supports fifo's.  The comment at the top
> says 16450 but we typically use 16552's.  The code will turn
> on the fifo's if you turn on modem flow control
> (e.g. echo m > /dev/eia0ctl).  You can make it the default
> if you want, but that screws up serial mice.

	I'm sorry. I did a "fast" read and only saw the 16450 code.
Was my mesage duplicated? I see you have sent two answers. I only sent one
message and, curiously, received my own message through the list, something
that didn't happen before.

	Borja.

Borja Marcos               | Preferred: borjam@we.lc.ehu.es
Alangoeta, 11, 1. izq.     | Others:    borjamar@mx.sarenet.es
48990 - Algorta (Vizcaya)  |            100015.3502@compuserve.com
SPAIN                      | CIS:       100015,3502

* your mail
@ 1995-07-29 19:01 Jim
From: Jim @ 1995-07-29 19:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

Oh great.  It looks like sub-rosa.com has three MX records, and the first
two machines are down.  But a test message I just sent to the voting
address did seem to be accepted by the final mail exchanger machine.

Anyone who's having trouble with the voting address, please try again, and
let me know.  I'll try to alert the votetaker about the problem.

* your mail
@ 1995-04-05  8:51 Heiko
From: Heiko @ 1995-04-05  8:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi.

How is it compared to Linux?

	Heiko Wengler

* your mail
@ 1995-03-30 21:48 Alessandro
From: Alessandro @ 1995-03-30 21:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

> interested, send me mail and in a few days I'll send (maybe not all of) you a
> a distribution setup to try.

I'm very interested.

Alessandro Baccetti
Via Crispi, 25
58100  GROSSETO (ITALY)
+39 564 25989
odisseo@linux.it

* your mail
@ 1995-03-30  4:05 Danny
From: Danny @ 1995-03-30  4:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Unfortunately it might be some time before a newsgroup could get going;
> there's a big backlog of proposed newsgroups now. (I'm one of the Usenet
> Volunteer Votetakers.) I'd be glad to do the legwork for comp.os.plan9 (or
> whatever the name should be), though I'm certainly not qualified to be a
> moderator.

I'd recommend not moderating comp.os.plan9.  If the volume increases
sufficiently, then you change the single group to a hierarchy and
maybe moderate parts of that hierarchy.

Danny Yee.

* your mail
@ 1995-03-30  3:20 Jim
From: Jim @ 1995-03-30  3:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 1995-02-08 20:44 Hans
From: Hans @ 1995-02-08 20:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

sequent!plan9.research.att.com!rob wrote:
!
! It's nice to be in a position where people apologize because they
! assume there's humor in your work, based on past experience,
! but they're not sure where it is.

Sorry Rob, but I could not resist!

[ Asbestos Longjohns ON  ]

I personally hate it when people talk to you like this.  You know like
your OLD grandpa, telling you (his grandson) a "lesson", that you do
not want to hear...

But, then again, we could expect an arrogant question, but NO ANSWER,
in return, could we not?

[ Asbestos Longjohns OFF ]

I would have appreciated an answer :-)

--