* 9fans <-> comp.os.plan9
@ 1997-05-08 17:46 Scott
From: Scott @ 1997-05-08 17:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

"G. David Butler" <gdb@dbSystems.com> writes:
| I've noticed articles from comp.os.plan9 going to the 9fans list,
| but are they going the other way?

The gateway is manually moderated, so things frequently don't get
propogated.

How would people feel about discontinuing the gateway?  Or making it
one way, mail->news?

* 9fans <-> comp.os.plan9
@ 1997-05-08 18:55 forsyth
From: forsyth @ 1997-05-08 18:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

>>How would people feel about discontinuing the gateway?  Or making it
>>one way, mail->news?

i read, and often (thought not invariably) answer my email;
i attempt to read the news, and my news feed attempts to send me
a consistent feed, but useful things often fall between those two attempts.

* 9fans <-> comp.os.plan9
@ 1997-05-08 18:16 Greg
From: Greg @ 1997-05-08 18:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

Sorry for the meta-discussion; I'll say one thing about it and shut
up.

> Is the pain of the occasional usenet spam worth the trade-off?  To
> me, most definitely not.

I have three arguments against.

	* I get "the occasional usenet spam" from a bunch of different
	  lists these days, to the point where it's no longer
	  "occasional."

	* 9fans is not a high-traffic list right now, and it has a
	  comparatively good S/N ratio; one or two spam messages a
	  week is enough to damage that.

	* Newsgroups also tend to have a higher level of clueless
	  questions.

Most of the mailing lists I'm on which are gatewayed to usenet groups
have a much lower S/N ratio than they did before the gateway was set
up.  I know that from a technical point of view they're just two
different ways of reading the same stuff, but socially the entrance
barrier to joining a mailing list is a big deal.

* 9fans <-> comp.os.plan9
@ 1997-05-08 17:58 Rich
From: Rich @ 1997-05-08 17:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

I do not think that the small plan9 community is well-served by having
two disjoint discussion areas.  Is the pain of the occasional usenet
spam worth the trade-off?  To me, most definitely not.

Make the list and the Usenet newsgroup be identical.

* 9fans <-> comp.os.plan9
@ 1997-05-08 16:56 Icarus
From: Icarus @ 1997-05-08 16:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

>I've noticed articles from comp.os.plan9 going to the 9fans list,
>but are they going the other way?  I've mailed two messages in as
>many days and even though they come back via the list, I have not
>seen them on the news server at work.

Funny, I run the newsgroup and the problem is that they only go the
other way! All articles posted to 9fans are automatically gatewayed
into comp.os.plan9. The odd article fails because of invalid headers, but
I usually patch those up and post them.

Articles posted however are not gatewayed back to the mailing list. It
is hard to do this without all the software being under the control of
one person, if you are to avoid loops.

I reject about 80% of the postings to comp.os.plan9, as being adverts
for sex services of one kind or another.

Icarus
(moderator comp.os.plan9)

* 9fans <-> comp.os.plan9
@ 1997-05-08 16:30 G.David
From: G.David @ 1997-05-08 16:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

I've noticed articles from comp.os.plan9 going to the 9fans list,
but are they going the other way?  I've mailed two messages in as
many days and even though they come back via the list, I have not
seen them on the news server at work.

I don't use news at home yet since I don't have an nntp server or
client for plan9, yet.

I do need some input on my questions, but I fear no one is listening!

David Butler
gdb@dbSystems.com