* future of plan9
@ 1997-05-09  9:01 Jan
From: Jan @ 1997-05-09  9:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, 9 May 1997, Lucio de Re wrote:
I sent this message once but because of full disc it probably did not
leaved my computer so again :(

> > BTW: THIS is the future of Plan9.  What ever we make of it.
> >
> > David Butler
> > gdb@dbSystems.com
>
> Very well formulated.  The license restrictions remain a stumbling block but it would be nice to ask Lucent to change them, if we could decide what it is that we all want :-)
>
> My two cents' worth is that I'd like to use Plan 9 commercially, although in a very restricted environment: I operate as a low key ISP, and I'd like all my computers to be served from a Plan 9 core network - one or two clients would similarly benefit from running Plan 9 instead of Windows NT as a core server.
cool..
I asked my university to buy plan9 CD because I think it is so nice OS
full of original ideas that everyone who study operating systems must see it.
I installed one plan9 to make small show. They quite enhoyed it but they
refused to buy it, because they think that it is OS w/o future and there
is no other students interested in working on it. We already have installed
spring at suns but no one uses it (except me and one my friend). So I
have to make some project that depends on plan9. Do you have any ideas?
They also think that it is not normal to love so ugly looking OS because
everyone love nice windowed enviroments :(((...I will try to show them
Inferno..

and small question to bell labs: Whats about making cheaper/free
distribution of plan9 for univiersities... I think this should make plan9
more popular since everyone who saw plan9 at my computer already tryed to
install it (some of them failed because of relativly stupid restrictions
to partitions)

I want to see plan9 in large installation because one computer
installation at my computer is bit ugly..but it is still very cool.. I
already installed willy to my linux. Usually I use vi but sometimes when
I want to have some fun I use willy for editing. It is one of most
powerfull tools for UNIX.. :)

Honza

> Then again, I may not be representative, although it would be nice to think that there are affinities with others on this list.
> --
> Lucio de Re (lucio@proxima.alt.za)
> Disclaimer: I'm working at getting my opinions to agree with me.

                   Have you browsed my www pages? Look at:
                       http://www.paru.cas.cz/~hubicka
      Koules-the game for Svgalib,X11 and OS/2,  Xonix-the game for X11
      czech documentation for linux index, original 2D computer art and
              funny 100 years old photos and articles are there!

* future of plan9...
@ 1997-05-09  8:50 Jan
From: Jan @ 1997-05-09  8:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, 9 May 1997, Lucio de Re wrote:

> > BTW: THIS is the future of Plan9.  What ever we make of it.
> >
> > David Butler
> > gdb@dbSystems.com
>
> Very well formulated.  The license restrictions remain a stumbling block but it would be nice to ask Lucent to change them, if we could decide what it is that we all want :-)
>
> My two cents' worth is that I'd like to use Plan 9 commercially, although in a very restricted environment: I operate as a low key ISP, and I'd like all my computers to be served from a Plan 9 core network - one or two clients would similarly benefit from running Plan 9 instead of Windows NT as a core server.
cool..
I asked my university (Matfyz) to buy plan9 CD, because I think it is so
nice OS full of original ideas that it should be interesting to everyone
studying operating systems at my university. So I installed one plan9
from 4 disc set and made smal show of it. They enjoyed it but because
they think that plan9 is os w/o any future, CD is relativly expensive (at
least for czech student) and there is no other students working on this
OS they refused to buy it untill I will find some project that requires
plan9.. Do you have any ideas?

And small question to bell labs: whats about making free/very cheap
distribution for univerzities. This should make plan9 much more popular
since everyone who seen plan9 at my computer tryed to install it. (some
of them failed because of relativly stupid restrictions for partitions
and problem with more partitions on disc)