* [9fans] ne2000
@ 1997-07-22 20:50 Paul
From: Paul @ 1997-07-22 20:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

It all depends on your packet size.  With 1500 byte packets I would
certainly hope you get 100% of a 100Mb/s link.  With 64 byte packets
I would say 60% is pretty darn good.

I am told the "internet" runs with an "average" packet size of around
300 bytes (remember all those acks).  I don't believe your standard
(fast) Intel box will do 100% of a 100Mb/s link with 300 byte packets.

				-Paul Borman
				 prb@bsdi.com

> From: jmk@plan9.bell-labs.com
>
> i can get 100% of a 100Mb/s link with UDP on a 21140 based card.
> what are you doing wrong?

> From: ncube.com!beto
...k
> PCI Cogent Ethernet and Fast Ethernet adapters are very good.
> We get 60% of a 100mbits link using UDP. These are not

* [9fans] NE2000
@ 2000-03-31  3:33 Vladimir
From: Vladimir @ 2000-03-31  3:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

Is it possible to boot a PC terminal from the NE2000/compatible boot
EPROM?

Thank' s

Vladimir

http://im.yahoo.com

* [9fans] ne2000
@ 1997-07-23  3:11 jmk
From: jmk @ 1997-07-23  3:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

	From: ncube.com!beto
	In <199707222220.SAA00887@cse.psu.edu>
	 jmk@plan9.bell-labs.com wrote:

	> 	From: ncube.com!beto
	>
	> 	In <199707222030.QAA16117@cse.psu.edu>
	> 	 jmk@plan9.bell-labs.com wrote:
	>
	> 	> i can get 100% of a 100Mb/s link with UDP on a 21140 based card.
	> 	> what are you doing wrong?
	> 	>
	> 	Is this brazil or plan9?
	>
	> brazil. using ttcp -u. all the bytes get to the other end.

	What about TCP performance?
	We are only getting 35mbits using ttcp.

the best i've seen on our unswitched 100base-tx hub was ~7.5MB/s, i think that's when
the acks collide with the data.

i'm hoping to get a switch in a few weeks and i can try some tests with mixes of
cards, there's certainly more tuning to be done.

i added a new card to the list today, the adaptec (cogent) ana-6910fx. it uses the
digital 21140 chip.

* [9fans] ne2000
@ 1997-07-22 22:27 beto
From: beto @ 1997-07-22 22:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 1997-07-22 22:18 jmk
From: jmk @ 1997-07-22 22:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

	From: ncube.com!beto

@ 1997-07-22 21:47 beto
From: beto @ 1997-07-22 21:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

In <199707222030.QAA16117@cse.psu.edu>
 jmk@plan9.bell-labs.com wrote:

> i can get 100% of a 100Mb/s link with UDP on a 21140 based card.
> what are you doing wrong?

Upss the 60% number is what they use here to configure
a video server because they need some other services
using the link (stream control, files and so on).

We can saturate 1½ 100Mbits links with one cpu (ours cpu is
not extremelly fast)

* [9fans] ne2000
@ 1997-07-22 21:10 beto
From: beto @ 1997-07-22 21:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

In <199707222030.QAA16117@cse.psu.edu>
 jmk@plan9.bell-labs.com wrote:

> i can get 100% of a 100Mb/s link with UDP on a 21140 based card.
> what are you doing wrong?

Is this brazil or plan9?

* [9fans] ne2000
@ 1997-07-22 20:29 jmk
From: jmk @ 1997-07-22 20:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

From: ncube.com!beto
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 97 12:27:37 PDT
To: cse.psu.edu!9fans
Subject: Re: [9fans] ne2000
Sender: cse.psu.edu!owner-9fans

In <199707230448.64603.out.baker@plan9.cs.su.oz.au>
 David Hogan <dhog@lore.plan9.cs.su.oz.au> wrote:

> > the datsheets and application notes for the dp8390 explain most of what you need
> > to know about the wrteched ne2000. they're available on-line at the national
> > semiconductor website.
>
> Thanks, I'll check it out.
>
> > no matter how cheap you say it is, it's not worth the money.
>
> After looking at the driver code, I have to agree.  Reading in
> packets using INSx -- what is this, the stone age??
>
> The target application is talking to an ISDN gateway, so
> efficiency isn't crucial.  But if cable modem ever arrives,
> I'll probably want a better ethernet card (or if I get
> a second computer...).
>
> So, which ethernet cards do PCI bus mastering?  :-)

PCI Cogent Ethernet and Fast Ethernet adapters are very good.
We get 60% of a 100mbits link using UDP. These are not
supported on the release, but you could get the information to
write a driver from Digital Semiconductor
(DECchip 21140A PCI Fast ethenet Lan Controller).
The interface is very similar to a lance controller
and it does scatther send (up to two).

* [9fans] ne2000
@ 1997-07-22 20:26 Mike
From: Mike @ 1997-07-22 20:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

>So, which ethernet cards do PCI bus mastering?  :-)

Two that I know of, and use under FreeBSD:

* Intel EtherExpress Pro 100, based on the 82557 chip.

* Various cards based on the DEC 21040, 21041, and
  21140 chips.

* [9fans] ne2000
@ 1997-07-22 19:32 jmk
From: jmk @ 1997-07-22 19:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

	So, which ethernet cards do PCI bus mastering?  :-)

the three we currently use are
	3com		3c595 (half a busmaster), 3c905
	intel		ether express 10/100
	digital		de500x (21140 chip, other clones sometimes work)
all are 10/100 cards. the 3com and intel cards are sub $100US, don't
know about the cards based on the 21140 but i believe the clones are
very cheap too.

* [9fans] ne2000
@ 1997-07-22 19:27 beto
From: beto @ 1997-07-22 19:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 1997-07-22 18:48 David
From: David @ 1997-07-22 18:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 1997-07-22 13:22 jmk
From: jmk @ 1997-07-22 13:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 1997-07-22  7:11 David
From: David @ 1997-07-22  7:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

Well, I have this PnP ethernet card which is supposedly
NE2000 compatible.  Naturally I want everything to
be "Plug and Play", ie once the kernel's recognized the
card (using my PnP support) and configured the irq and io
port, it should know all it needs to know, without any
special stuff in "plan9.ini".

There are two problems.  First, I need to know how much
memory the card has.  It's occured to me that I can
probably get this by using standard memory sizing
techniques.  However, I'd like to know a bit more about
the NE2000 "standard" (ha!), ie: is the RAM base always
at 0x4000?  Is the memory size always limitted to <= 16K?
Is it safe to poke any address, or are there areas
that must be avoided?

Second problem: I need some way to work out whether
dummyrr needs to be set.  Interestingly, leaving this
set for my card causes the machine to spin in dp8390write();
I am writing with "to" == 0x4000 and getting back "crda" == 0x3f00.
I have no idea what it all means, as I have no data sheet/
tech info for this dastardly contraption.