From: Michel Oosterhof kirth@cal044204.student.utwente.nl
Subject: [9fans] Re: Anyone still running plan9?
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 1997 13:00:00 +0000	[thread overview]

photon@nol.NET (Brandon Black) writes:

[snip]

>It really irks me a little that so many people want *nix ports of Plan 9's
>window manager, or editor, etc... but nobody wants to take the really
>great ideas.  WHy won't somebody take things like the namespacing stuff,
>the 9P and IL protocols, the fileserver/cpuserver/terminal concepts... all
>the good "internals" of Plan 9 and make an effort to bring those ideas
>into modern freeware *nix clones.  Merge it into Linux, or NetBSD, or
>HURD....   That would be a much more worthwhile effort.

Of course that would be much better then just porting the interface. Only
is it possible? Bell Labs started with a new OS, they didn't just adapt
UNIX to use these new paradigms. From what I've read about Plan9, it'd not
be easy to add these things to unix, as fundamental changes have to be
made.

michel
--
| Michel Oosterhof <m.oosterhof@thn.tn.utwente.nl>    PGP-Key:1024/09A3EA79 |