From: Brandon Black photon@nol.net
Subject: [9fans] Re: Anyone still running plan9?
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 1997 10:34:16 -0500	[thread overview]

In response yo this all the other responses that went like "Much too
difficult, you must not have looked at this before", I have looked.  It
would be very painful.  Implementing per-process namespace would only be a
third of the work, compared to hacking the rest of the system to make it
continue to work (like the security example).  You'd have to change the
whole security paradigm.

However, I disagree about the effort/benefit ratio.  I see every day in
our Unix development environment where I work how much benefit we would
gain if our commercial unices had per-process inherited namespaces.  If
you develop C/C++ in a multi-platform unix environment.. and use all of
the GNu tools, and DejaGNu testing suite, and database clients, and
syb/ora-tcl, and perl, and RogueWave, and the list goes one..... And
different projects (sharing generic development boxes) want to use
different versions of all these tools, and might be compiling to different
targets.... And throw in the use of IRMS as an intelligent source code
repository that knows about your tools and generates your makefiles, and
runs your nightly builds and tests....

In this situation.. everything we do is a major hack, and it would all be
clean and perfect if we had Plan9's namespacing to work with.

Brandon