* [9fans] XaoS30 and plan9
@ 1997-09-08  9:51 Jan
From: Jan @ 1997-09-08  9:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, Sep 07, 1997 at 03:00:42PM -0500, Brandon Black wrote:

> For the network stuff... at least on *nix machines you could use the PVM
> libraries... POVRay is built with them to make a distributed version
> called "PVMPOV".
Thanks, I will definitivly take a look at this, but main problem
is that I can't imagine main clauclation loop w/o freqent comunication
between computers. At least each must have complette source image, wich
should involve 1MB or more transfers to each computer per frame
(20 times per second) and thats impossible. So I have to think about
less optimal, but networkable calculation loops.

Honza

> Brandon
>
> On Fri, 5 Sep 1997, Jan Hubicka wrote:

* [9fans] XaoS30 and plan9
@ 1997-09-07 20:00 Brandon
From: Brandon @ 1997-09-07 20:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

For the network stuff... at least on *nix machines you could use the PVM
libraries... POVRay is built with them to make a distributed version
called "PVMPOV".

Brandon

On Fri, 5 Sep 1997, Jan Hubicka wrote:

> Hi
> I slowly finishing work at XaoS3.0 (an fractal zoomer) and I want to make
> plan9 port working again. So do you have any ideas for improvements?
> But main purpose why I write this email is, that this version has also
> thread support for SMP boxes.
> I want to make threaded version for plan9 too, since I want to try
> its API (and compare it with posix and beos one). I don't have SMP machine,
> so I would be greatly interested if someone own such machine and has some
> time to test XaoS before it will be released to let me know how it works/
> do some speed comparsion tests.
> I thinking also about networked version of XaoS, but this should be much
> more complex problem, so possibly I will solve it later (in 3.1 :)
> XaoS routines needs be very fast and synchronization for clauclation
> over net should require lots of everhead so it should be slower than
> running at single machine.
>
> Thanks
> Honza
> --
>                    Have you browsed my www pages? Look at:
>                        http://www.paru.cas.cz/~hubicka
>       Koules-the game for Svgalib,X11 and OS/2,  Xonix-the game for X11
>       czech documentation for linux index, original 2D computer art and
>               funny 100 years old photos and articles are there!

* [9fans] XaoS30 and plan9
@ 1997-09-05 10:06 Jan