* Hiding the pointer (was Re: [9fans] Arrow keys)
@ 1997-09-11  9:51 Lucio
From: Lucio @ 1997-09-11  9:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Vanishing pointers drive me up the wall. I like to know where the
> pointer is at all times, but that's just me. My particular
> favourite: MS Word making the pointer disappear as you move it over
> the grey area that surrounds the WYSIAWYG page...makes me want to
> scream.

There's a difference, I hope :-)  I'd like to see the pointer disappear
(effectively) when I take my hand off the mouse.  I'm sure that
wouldn't give you much of a panic once you've had it for a few days.
--
Lucio de Re (lucio@proxima.alt.za)
Disclaimer: I'm working at getting my opinions to agree with me.

* Hiding the pointer (was Re: [9fans] Arrow keys)
@ 1997-09-11 14:31 Bengt
From: Bengt @ 1997-09-11 14:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <3417BCCD.B2D0FC2B@genedata.com>, 9fans@cse.psu.edu wrote:

> Steve_Kilbane@cegelecproj.co.uk wrote:
> > Vanishing pointers drive me up the wall. I like to know where the
> > pointer is at all times, but that's just me. My particular
> > favourite: MS Word making the pointer disappear as you move it over
...deleted
> they tried to make me use MS Word the other day, and exactly that
> feature made me refuse and delete it. does anyone know why they did
...deleted

I refused using MS Word since it froze my window system if I moved the
mouse to often across the edges (to get the pointer away from the middle).
Also, if I scrolled the text and had a window that didn't cover the whole
screen the text turned into garbage. (not the content, it may already have
been in that state, but the actual characters became random noise).

This was in 1994. Can't remember the version of MS Word.

--
Best Wishes, Bengt

Email: bengtk@damek.kth.se

* Hiding the pointer (was Re: [9fans] Arrow keys)
@ 1997-09-11 10:00 Nigel
From: Nigel @ 1997-09-11 10:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 1997-09-11  9:41 elliott
From: elliott @ 1997-09-11  9:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

Steve_Kilbane@cegelecproj.co.uk wrote:
> Vanishing pointers drive me up the wall. I like to know where the
> pointer is at all times, but that's just me. My particular
> favourite: MS Word making the pointer disappear as you move it over
> the grey area that surrounds the WYSIAWYG page...makes me want to
> scream.

they tried to make me use MS Word the other day, and exactly that
feature made me refuse and delete it. does anyone know why they did
that? i can see the point of hiding the pointer while you're typing:
sometimes it's a pain to be typing under the pointer and not really
being able to see what you've typed (that's always my excuse for typos
;-) but why on Earth would anyone want to hide the pointer in two-thirds
of their screen area? ridiculous!

--
Elliott Hughes - GeneData AG, Postfach 254, CH-4016 Basel, Switzerland
mailto:elliott.hughes@genedata.com  http://users.ch.genedata.com/~enh/

* Hiding the pointer (was Re: [9fans] Arrow keys)
@ 1997-09-11  9:32 Steve_Kilbane
From: Steve_Kilbane @ 1997-09-11  9:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 1997-09-11  9:14 elliott
From: elliott @ 1997-09-11  9:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

Lucio de Re wrote:

> > Turning the mouse off during quiet times is an old idea.
> > One design is to turn it off when a key is struck, and turn
> > it on again when the mouse is touched.
> >
> At the risk of sounding even sillier than usual, why is this not done
> anywhere?  The idea of waiting for a keypress sounds good, although a
> period of inactivity may be better for idiot utilities such as the
> Win'95 desktop where one spends long periods just staring at it and
> hoping that something intelligent will eventually occur :-)

It's done in lots of places. For example, I have a module (a
dynamically-loaded kernel module in modern parlance, I suppose) for RISC
OS that does this system-wide. Both hide-on-keypress and
hide-after-delay, if you choose. Most people go for hide-on-keypress
only, I find.