* [9fans] Re: Authentication-server installation problems
@ 1997-10-06  5:14 Kazumi
From: Kazumi @ 1997-10-06  5:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

A reply to an old message, to which I didn't see an answer.

In message <199702171945.LAA13888@batman.cs.unr.edu>,
	Eric Blood writes:
> Following the current instructions off the Plan9 web page I've done
> the initial file-system setup on the new authentication-server and
> created the authid on the file-server.  Then, after selecting the
> fourth option from the menu (CPU/Authentication) and rebooting the
> authentication-server, it will prompt where to boot from (il), my IP,
> my mask, my gateway, the file server IP, and the authentication IP (my
> IP address).  It will pause for a few seconds and then print the
> following:
>
> boot: #c/hostowner: bad arg in system call
> panic: boot process died: unknown
> ... <- several rows and columns of numbers
> exiting

I had exactly the same problem trying to boot 9sscpu on a
SparcStation 2.

> I believe that when it goes to write hostowner, it's failing either on
> the open() or write().  I guess there isn't a problem with writing the
> key file, but I not sure how to verify this.

read()/write() to #c/key etc. requires the global variable cpuserver
set to 1. mk 'CONF=sscpu' generates /sys/src/9//ss/sscpu.c, which
has the line
	int cpuserver = 1;
near the end. This is shadowed (somehow) by /sys/src/9/ss/main.c:15
	int	cpuserver;
here, cpuserver is implicitly initialized to 0.

My fix:
term% diff /n/cd/sys/src/9/ss/main.c /sys/src/9/ss/main.c
15d14
< int cpuserver;

I guess the same fix has to be applied to /sys/src/9/ss10/main.c,
but I don't have a machine to verify it.

--
                                        iwane@lit.rd.nttdata.co.jp
"This is where the future lies beneath the burning sulphur skies."

only message in thread, other threads:[~1997-10-06  5:14 UTC | newest]