* [9fans] b.com boddle
@ 1997-10-17  3:40 jmk
From: jmk @ 1997-10-17  3:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

i added the following to CHANGES.txt on the web site:
	16-Oct-97 boot/pc/877058463.rc
	==============================
	All previous changes in boot/pc plus:
		main.c		fixed the botched attempt of 11-Sep-97

there's also a b.com image is available in the same directory and a new
disk1 image in the pcdist subdirectory.

it's becoming hard to make changes to the plan9 distribution.
this week we retired two old fileservers we have, one of which was
the plan9 fileserver. we put the two sony jukeboxes along with
3 9GB drives on an old magnum running the current fileserver code
and tossed out
	bootes		a 2 processor (25MHz R3000) sgi power which
			was the plan9 fileserver
	helix		a 4 processor (25MHz R3000) sgi power which
			was the plan9 cpuserver
	fornax		a mips 6280 (60MHz ECL R6000 behemoth) which
			was the original brazil fileserver
	discs		oodles of old 5.25" drives used as caches
the bootes and fornax filesystems are still available but are
really archives now, there aren't any real machines left which boot
from them (a couple of nexts and special-purpose magnums, nothing
which is used for real work).

our current brazil setup is
	emelie		200MHz pentium with an hp jukebox and a rack
			of seagate 4GB barracudas
	thresher	8 processor 200MHz SGI challenge cpuserver
	anna		2 processor 200MHz pentium pro cpuserver
emelie and anna are on 100Base-TX and 10Base-T but there's no way to
hook up thresher to anything other than 10Base-T, so although it scales
better under load than anna it isn't used as much.

--jim

* [9fans] b.com boddle
@ 1997-10-18  4:48 jmk
From: jmk @ 1997-10-18  4:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

	Does it now tftp correctly?  I noticed it didn't work, but didn't
	have time to look at it yet.
it works for me. if it doesn't for you i can think of two reasons.
you wouldn't be trying to boot from linux or solaris, would you?

	Are you saying that Bell Labs isn't running plan9 anymore so
	they can't test or implement changes?  How do you think that will
	impact those of us still using it?
i think you'll find the support is the same as it's always been.

--jim

* [9fans] b.com boddle
@ 1997-10-18  4:40 geoff
From: geoff @ 1997-10-18  4:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

i wouldn't read too much into the change of name
from plan 9 to brazil (we do still run brazil).  the
most recent cd contained the second edition of plan
9; if you think of brazil as `plan 9, third edition, in
progress', you won't go too far wrong (and no, that
does not imply plans or lack of plans for a future
release).  most programs here compile on 2nd edition
and brazil from the same source without conditional
compilation; until very recently (the graphics model is
changing again), the libraries masked the differences
in the graphics models for most graphical programs.

* [9fans] b.com boddle
@ 1997-10-18  0:56 G.David
From: G.David @ 1997-10-18  0:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

From: jmk@plan9.bell-labs.com

>i added the following to CHANGES.txt on the web site:
>	16-Oct-97 boot/pc/877058463.rc
>	==============================
>	All previous changes in boot/pc plus:
>		main.c		fixed the botched attempt of 11-Sep-97
>
>there's also a b.com image is available in the same directory and a new
>disk1 image in the pcdist subdirectory.

Does it now tftp correctly?  I noticed it didn't work, but didn't
have time to look at it yet.

>it's becoming hard to make changes to the plan9 distribution.

[big snip]

Are you saying that Bell Labs isn't running plan9 anymore so
they can't test or implement changes?  How do you think that will
impact those of us still using it?

David Butler