* [9fans] fprint(int fd, const char* format,...);
@ 1997-11-21 16:18 Boyd
From: Boyd @ 1997-11-21 16:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

i'm pretty sure that rob's right.  byron and paul wrote the public
domain version of rc back in 1991 and they were both pretty gung ho
about plan 9.  of course, rc first appeared on version 10 unix.

* [9fans] fprint(int fd, const char* format,...);
@ 1997-11-21 18:33 Tom
From: Tom @ 1997-11-21 18:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

If you have a plan9 cd, it's the work of an hour or so to get
the real print to go on unix.  Mostly you have to replace Ken's
ad hoc vararg mangling with calls to stdarg macros.

--
Tom Duff, KF6LWB.  Gort!  Klaatu barada ... uhh ... uhh ...

* [9fans] fprint(int fd, const char* format,...);
@ 1997-11-21 18:27 Scott
From: Scott @ 1997-11-21 18:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

erik quanstrom <quanstro@Infomkt.ibm.com> writes:
| plan9 does not have a monopoly on this. i have been
| using the "print" library for years. from the copyright:
|  * Copyright 1994 Paul Haahr, Scott Schwartz, Byron Rakitzis.

Inspired by Plan 9, of course.  It started out as part of Byron's
implementation of rc.

Available from the comp.sources.unix archives, v29i017.

* [9fans] fprint(int fd, const char* format,...);
@ 1997-11-21 16:01 Rob
From: Rob @ 1997-11-21 16:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

Not that it matters much, but I'm pretty sure that the 'print'
library was done as part of an emulation library for writing
Plan 9-like tools.  That style of print (c.f. printf) started around
here when Andrew Hume wrote a new buffered I/O library for
Version 8 Unix.  The style continued through a couple of more
libraries and found its way into Plan 9.

-rob

* [9fans] fprint(int fd, const char* format,...);
@ 1997-11-21 15:51 erik
From: erik @ 1997-11-21 15:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

>on Plan 9, you can use
>        fprint(2, ...);
>to print directly to a file descriptor, instead of
>        fprintf(stderr, ...
>avoiding an old library and the possible need to fflush.

plan9 does not have a monopoly on this. i have been
using the "print" library for years. from the copyright:

; cat COPYRIGHT
/*
 * Copyright 1994 Paul Haahr, Scott Schwartz, Byron Rakitzis.
 * All rights reserved.
[...]

sorry, i don't know where it lives in ftp-land off hand.

erik