* Keepers of the flame (was Re: [9fans] Re: etherelnk3.c)
@ 1997-12-15 11:21 elliott
From: elliott @ 1997-12-15 11:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

G. David Butler wrote:
> Are we ready to build a team to do Plan9 enhancement/development?
> We could use the FreeBSD model.  Or do we want to leave the
> system as it is with Lucent as keeper of the updates?

Is Lucent really keeper of the updates anyway? It seems to me that every
time a problem is mentioned someone (often forsyth) says "oh yeah, I
fixed that ages ago; I'll look out the patch". I don't think it's true
that when I finally get me, my CD and sufficient computers all together
and all in the same country, I'll be able to pop over to Lucent and ftp
all the patches I need.

I'm not sure what you mean by the FreeBSD model. To me that means "stick
the source tree on an FTP site and let all and sundry play". That
doesn't seem to fit with the idea of us all having handed over cash to
AT&T and (presumably, I haven't read it yet) having agreed not to pass
anything on.

It certainly would be nice if we could guarantee that people don't have
to keep fixing things independently of one another. It might be
interesting to know what everyone's doing with Plan 9, too. Where
people's interests lie.

--
Elliott Hughes - GeneData AG, Postfach 254, CH-4016 Basel, Switzerland
mailto:elliott.hughes@genedata.com  http://users.ch.genedata.com/~enh/

* Keepers of the flame (was Re: [9fans] Re: etherelnk3.c)
@ 1997-12-15 10:43 forsyth
From: forsyth @ 1997-12-15 10:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

>>Is Lucent really keeper of the updates anyway? It seems to me that every
>>time a problem is mentioned someone (often forsyth) says "oh yeah, I
>>fixed that ages ago; I'll look out the patch". I don't think it's true
>>that when I finally get me, my CD and sufficient computers all together
>>and all in the same country, I'll be able to pop over to Lucent and ftp
>>all the patches I need.

if so, it's our (my) fault for not having fed changes back consistently.
most of the changes and extensions generally available thus far
really have come from people at Bell Labs, particularly jmk.
once the updates from plan9.bell-labs.com
have been applied, your system should be in reasonably good shape.