* [9fans] Plan9 on NeXT
@ 1998-01-12 23:11 forsyth
From: forsyth @ 1998-01-12 23:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

>>machine, can i build a 9nextstationcpu for it as well... this binary

probably.  compare for instance the configuration files
/sys/src/9/ss/ss and /sys/src/9/ss/sscpu

doing something similar to produce nextstationcpu should
be fairly easy and will probably work.

* [9fans] Plan9 on NeXT
@ 1998-01-05  1:51 Brandon
From: Brandon @ 1998-01-05  1:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

I have neither the time nor skill nor manuals to attempt a port if
9nextstation doesn't already support the Turbo....  I was under the
impression the only difference was CPU clock speed.... were there other
archeticural changes?

Also.. my question still stands.... if 9nextstation will work on a given
machine, can i build a 9nextstationcpu for it as well... this binary
isn't on the distribution... but I seem to remember (from the last time I
had plan 9 up...) that the cpu and temrinal kernels were nearly identical...

Brandon

On Tue, 23 Dec 1997, Rob Pike wrote:

> We never tried Plan 9 on any Next machine other than the plain
> Nextstation.  I doubt you'll have much luck on the other systems,
> although it's probably not too much work, given a sure-to-be-scarce
> manual, to port it.
>
> -rob

* [9fans] Plan9 on NeXT
@ 1997-12-24  0:04 Rob
From: Rob @ 1997-12-24  0:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 1997-12-23 21:12 Brandon
From: Brandon @ 1997-12-23 21:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

Well, I haven't been running plan 9 for the past several months, because
I no longer wanted to use up 3 PC's for it at the house...  However, my
company is now ditching some old NeXT hardware, so I'm looking at using
that......

They're all 040's.... some plain 68040-25 "NeXTstations" mainly, and one
"Color", one "Turbo", and one "Color Turbo".  I'm pretty sure the Turbos
mean 68040-33Mhz.

>From what I understand from "The Various Ports", any of these should work
for terminals.. (I would probably take home the Color and Color Turbo for
terminals and get monitors for them... I've found the NeXT hardware faqs
and some NeXT resale shops to help with that)...

Question is, can I use a NeXTstation Turbo as a CPU server?  If I
remember right, the cpu server kernel and terminal kernel are only
slightly different.. so I would think yes... but nowhere in the manuals
is there mention of a "9nextstationcpu" kernel.

Brandon