* [9fans] u9fs & iso9660
@ 1998-01-14 20:04 Fariborz
From: Fariborz @ 1998-01-14 20:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks. This works. One modification: last argument to mount (aname parameter
of attach message?) is 'device' not 'dev' according to 'u9fs.c'
To review:

on 'linuxbox':
        ln /dev/hdc /plan9/cdrom        # or whatever the cdrom device is
                                        # u9fs serves /plan9

on Plan9 side:
        mkdir /n/linux
        mkdir /n/cdrom
        srv tcp!linuxbox!u9fs
        mount /srv/tcp!linuxbox!u9fs /n/linux device
        9660srv -f /n/linux/cdrom cdrom
        mount /srv/cdrom /n/cdrom

At 09:12 PM 1/13/98 -0500, you wrote:
>It seems to me that if Linux is willing to serve
>/dev/cdrom as an image of the CD-ROM, then you should
>be able to run the Plan9 9660srv on the u9fs-mounted
>/dev/cdrom to get a filesystem that knows about _conform.map.
>
>in linux:
>	umount the cd
>
>in plan9:
>	mkdir /n/linux
>	mkdir /n/cdrom
>	srv tcp!linuxbox
>	mount /srv/tcp!linuxbox /n/linux dev
>	9660srv -f /n/linux/dev/cdrom cdrom
>	mount /srv/cdrom /n/cdrom
>
>I don't guarantee that this will work, or even that it won't
>crash the Linux and/or Plan9 systems.  I wouldn't play too
>much with it unless you know what you're doing.
>I've done this with floppy disks, never CDs.
>
>Russ

* [9fans] u9fs & iso9660
@ 1998-01-16  7:30 Gary
From: Gary @ 1998-01-16  7:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

> It seems to me that if Linux is willing to serve
> /dev/cdrom as an image of the CD-ROM, then you should
> be able to run the Plan9 9660srv on the u9fs-mounted
> /dev/cdrom to get a filesystem that knows about _conform.map.

Yup.  At home, I've got a box with an ATAPI CDROM that '4-disk-Plan 9'
doesn't recognise properly, but Linux does.  I used Linux to copy the
CDROM image to the DOS partition, and then mounted that in Plan 9 via
dossrv, then 9660srv.  Phew.

* [9fans] u9fs & iso9660
@ 1998-01-14  2:12 Russ
From: Russ @ 1998-01-14  2:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 1998-01-14  1:49 Fariborz
From: Fariborz @ 1998-01-14  1:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

I have a Plan9 machine that is mounting a directory on a Linux box served by
u9fs. Under that directory I have the Plan9 CD mounted (on the Linux box).=
 How
can I make the real file names on the CD to show on the Plan9 box?
(e.g. 8=C2=BD instead of f1234567 etc.)?

By analogy to u9fs, would this require a u9660fs?