* [9fans] mkext
@ 1998-01-29  7:57 forsyth
From: forsyth @ 1998-01-29  7:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

usually it is only done during file system initialisation,
mkext -u can be used at any time a file server is in `allow' mode.
the option causes mkext to set user, group and times,
warning if any can't be set.

* [9fans] mkext
@ 1998-01-29  6:19 Kenji
From: Kenji @ 1998-01-29  6:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hallo 9fans!

I am now trying to upgrade my Plan9 system to pseudo-WORM based
system.
My backup data file (arch) is only a subset of old system.
Plan9 manual says:
	Mkext unpack archive files ....
	The -u option, to be used only when initializing a new fs(4)
file system,
	sets the owners of the files ....
So , after installing CD-ROM, I executed without -u option,
	disk/mkext -d /n/9fs < arch
because I am afraid that my file system may be reinitialized.

Mkext expanded archived files setting incorrect owners, i.e.,
the owner that executed mkext.

Does mkext reinitialize file system?
If it does, how can I set correct owner to the expanded files?

Kenji Arisawa
E-mail: arisawa@aichi-u.ac.jp