* [9fans] Plan9 on dual Pentium machine?
@ 1998-04-03 20:30 miller
From: miller @ 1998-04-03 20:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

"jim mckie" <jmk@plan9.bell-labs.com> wrote:

>  i've had mp x86's running for a while in full symmetric i/o mode, but
>  i don't really have the time to put the work back into plan9. if you were
>  interested in that i could let you have the brazil code and any help
>  you'd need in order to make it available to the plan9 community.

My x86 multiprocessor adaptation of Plan 9 stopped short of distributed
interrupt handling because it makes the code very much simpler, and I'm not
convinced that it would give much benefit in performance.  But I'll be
happy to adopt the Brazil multiprocessor interrupt code in the interests
of keeping the two systems on a similar evolutionary track.

-- Richard Miller

* [9fans] Plan9 on dual Pentium machine?
@ 1998-04-03 17:48 Eric
From: Eric @ 1998-04-03 17:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

> i was interested in both your posts on 9fans today:
[xx]
> 2) i've had mp x86's running for a while in full symmetric i/o mode, but
>    i don't really have the time to put the work back into plan9. if you were
>    interested in that i could let you have the brazil code and any help
>    you'd need in order to make it available to the plan9 community.

I'm interested in looking at this; i've emailed the poster as well
but haven't heard anything from him yet.  I've a different MB from
his so it'll be a good test.

Re: dec21140 driver.. that's next on my list.  I've been
sidetracked by my ide fs effort (which works reliably now [yay]
but needs work for faster modes).  Network is the current
limiting factor;  I wish I had a full-duplex 10Mbit switch :)

> --jim

Regards,

Eric Dorman
edorman@ucsd.edu

* [9fans] Plan9 on dual Pentium machine?
@ 1998-04-03  0:50 jim
From: jim @ 1998-04-03  0:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

i was interested in both your posts on 9fans today:
1) i've been thinking about putting out recent changes to aux/vga and
   i already have some fixes for another ati card from someone else. if
   you'd like yours included i can put them in and let you test it as
   i don't have an xpert@work.

@ 1998-04-02 13:49 miller
From: miller @ 1998-04-02 13:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

> What should I do to run Plan9 on a dual Pentium machine?

I have made a minimal set of changes to Plan 9 to get it running on dual
intel processors.  It's not fully "SMP" (all interrupts are taken on cpu0
except for local clocks) but it does run both user and kernel code on
multiple processors.

It's only been tested on my own system (GA-686DX, 2xPPro, NCR53c810 scsi),
where it's been running stably for a few months.  If you would like to
try it, please get in touch by e-mail.

-- Richard Miller

* [9fans] Plan9 on dual Pentium machine?
@ 1998-03-27 14:34 Artem
From: Artem @ 1998-03-27 14:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello 9fans!

What should I do to run Plan9 on a dual Pentium machine?

Regards, Artem.