* [9fans] longer file names
@ 1998-04-10 19:46 Scott
From: Scott @ 1998-04-10 19:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Tom Duff" <td@pixar.com> writes:
| It's ludicrous to make an incompatible change like this with, as you noted,
| such far-reaching consequences, just for one weird little application.
| If your application doesn't like the names the file system gives it,
| keep a little name-mapping table somewhere and write open and create
| routines that use it.

Regardless of the merits of Dave's application, there are other times
when short names are an issue.  Look at ftpfs:  It uses a clever hack
to work around the name length problem, but why should it have to?  In
a system where directories play such a useful and generalized role, it
makes sense (to me anyway) to let them contain long names.

only message in thread, other threads:[~1998-04-10 19:46 UTC | newest]