* [9fans] New User: Basic Questions (unclear in FAQ etc)
@ 1998-04-19 18:57 jim
From: jim @ 1998-04-19 18:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

The ATAPI CD-ROM should appear on the '#H' device along with any ATA drives:

	% ls '#H'
	#H/atapi2disk
	#H/atapi3disk
	#H/hd0disk
	#H/hd0dos
	#H/hd0nvram
	#H/hd0partition
	%

The naming is weird and i'm not convinced it was a good choice, sorry.
If the device is not on the primary ATA controller then a suitable line in
plan9.ini is required, e.g.

	ata1=irq=15

The 4 possible ATA controllers are at fixed addresses

	Ata0		= 0x1F0,
	Ata1		= 0x170,
	Ata2		= 0x1E8,
	Ata3		= 0x168,

so there's no need to add a 'port=' option. Ata0 is always probed and
doesn't require a plan9.ini line. The 4-disc install should have detected
the CD-ROM and added to plan9.ini if necessary.

--jim

* [9fans] New User: Basic Questions (unclear in FAQ etc)
@ 1998-04-20  4:40 jim
From: jim @ 1998-04-20  4:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

	My cd rom config utility finds it here: 1F0, IRQ 14, slave. HD is the
	master device.

Since you have the device on the primary ATA controller there's no need for
any entry in plan9.ini.

The way an ATAPI device is recognised is that it leaves a special signature
in two of the ATA registers after reset. Anyone fiddling with the device before
Plan9 starts will possibly alter that signature and Plan9 will not find the
device. Three things to try:
1) Make sure there are no DOS drivers run before starting b.com.
2) add the line
	ata0=irq=14 reset
   to plan9.ini. This attempts to reset the controller. However, I think there
   was a bug in the released code so this may not always work.
3) Move the CD-ROM drive to another controller and make it the master. This is
   usually best in any case for performance reasons.
It's possible your drive can't be detected, it happens with some hardware
combinations. What is the brand and model of the drive?

--jim

* [9fans] New User: Basic Questions (unclear in FAQ etc)
@ 1998-04-19 23:13 Kevin
From: Kevin @ 1998-04-19 23:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Jim:

I made a group reply to the list, but argggh it got misdirected...

Thanks for your help:

> The ATAPI CD-ROM should appear on the '#H' device along with any ATA drives:
>
> 	% ls '#H'
> 	#H/atapi2disk
> 	#H/atapi3disk
> 	#H/hd0disk
> 	#H/hd0dos
> 	#H/hd0nvram
> 	#H/hd0partition
> 	%

Nope, I just see the hd0 entries. The CD rom drive works under DOS
(installed drivers etc to make sure it wasn't a cable/drive problem). The
controller is a bus-card type, multi-I/O, IDE, floppy card.

There's no cdrom= line in my plan9.ini, I thought this strange as I had
selected ATAPI (IDE) cdrom from the menu config earlier. I did find it
funny that this choice appeared under "soundblaster cd rom", though. I
don't have a sound card in the machine.

I'm confused!

Kevin

> 	Ata0		= 0x1F0,

My cd rom config utility finds it here: 1F0, IRQ 14, slave. HD is the
master device.

> so there's no need to add a 'port=' option. Ata0 is always probed and
> doesn't require a plan9.ini line. The 4-disc install should have detected
> the CD-ROM and added to plan9.ini if necessary.

As I said, there's nothing re cdrom indicated in the plan9.ini.

Kevin

--
Kevin McQuiggin VE7ZD
mcquiggi@sfu.ca

* [9fans] New User: Basic Questions (unclear in FAQ etc)
@ 1998-04-19 19:02 schwartz+9fans
From: schwartz+9fans @ 1998-04-19 19:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

Digby:
| Ping, strangely, is much more ambitious. I don't recall if
| that can be gotten going just from the floppy installation.

I think you need to rebuild your kernel to add the icmp device.

| I use a SCSI CD-ROM, so can't comment on the ATAPI.

Try #H.

* [9fans] New User: Basic Questions (unclear in FAQ etc)
@ 1998-04-19 18:44 Digby
From: Digby @ 1998-04-19 18:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

>I'm a new user. I've installed the pcdist, from the newest floppy
>images/files, to my 486 PC.
>
>I have two initial goals:
>
>1. I want to get Plan 9 configured with my NE2000 card to allow me to
>either telnet to one of my unix boxes (on the LAN), or be able to ping the
>Plan 9 machine from another machine.
>The card is at 0x300 and IRQ5, and appears to be found by probing on boot
>(the ethernet address appears on the green-text login/root fs page).

I am just working on getting my copy installed also, so this may
be a case of the blind leading the blind, but..

I have succeded in getting my ethernet going by just entering the
correct hardware details in plan9.ini, and updating /lib/ndb/local.
At least I can use telnet and ftpfs.

Ping, strangely, is much more ambitious. I don't recall if
that can be gotten going just from the floppy installation.

I use a SCSI CD-ROM, so can't comment on the ATAPI.

Regards,
DigbyT
--
Digby R. S. Tarvin                                              digbyt@acm.org
http://www.cthulhu.dircon.co.uk

* [9fans] New User: Basic Questions (unclear in FAQ etc)
@ 1998-04-19 17:50 Kevin
From: Kevin @ 1998-04-19 17:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi All:

I'm a new user. I've installed the pcdist, from the newest floppy
images/files, to my 486 PC.

I have two initial goals:

1. I want to get Plan 9 configured with my NE2000 card to allow me to
either telnet to one of my unix boxes (on the LAN), or be able to ping the
Plan 9 machine from another machine.
The card is at 0x300 and IRQ5, and appears to be found by probing on boot
(the ethernet address appears on the green-text login/root fs page).

With this in mind I hunted around and found the following on the "Tips" page:

Subject: Configuring IP

        ndb/cs                          # sets sysname
        ip/ipconfig -b -m ipmask ipaddr
        ip/arpd -b bcast-addr
        echo -n 'add 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 128.100.8.224' > '#P/iproute'

        bind -a '#Q' /dev               # icmp device
        aux/icmp                        # icmp listener
        echo -n 'add tcp il udp icmp' > /net/cs

        and I added this to /lib/namespace:
        bind -a #Q /net

Here are my observations:

- the ip/arpd line hangs forever, have to reboot the machine.
- the #Q device is not known to my kernel, it complains about unknown #
device.

2. I'd like to get my ATAPI cdrom visible. The "#R" device is for SCSI, the
"#m" device is for soundblaster. I can't find the letter code for ATAPI
although it appears from other pages and the FAQ that it is supported.

Then I'll be able to install the rest of the system.

Oh, and the "man" utility is not available, it says "file not found".

Thanks in advance,

Kevin

Ke

---