* [9fans] Tried 9pcdisk with negative results. Output attached.
@ 1998-04-20  2:04 Kevin
From: Kevin @ 1998-04-20  2:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Russ:

I fetched 9pcdisk and tried it via B hd!0!9pcdisk, but here's what
happens:

root is from (local, 9600, 19200, il)[local!#H/hd0disk]:
user[none]:
fs...File system main inconsistent
Would you like to ream it (y/n)?     tag=Tnone; expected Tdir
kfs init 3: FID1 attach to root
boot:mount:: write to hungup stream
panic: boot process dies: unknown
(4 lines of hex dump, possible addresses, 80113f42 through 80100245)
exiting

I checked the books for potential interactive flags for the boot, no way
to respond to the y/n prompt as it dies immediately.

I considered that some changes to the filesystem may have taken place
between 9dos and 9pcdisk, and tried to do a full install with 9pcdisk in
place of 9dos or 9cpu, but (obviopusly) the setup code isn't in the
9pcdisk kernel.

Sorry to bug you, but any suggestions?

Kevin

--
Kevin McQuiggin VE7ZD
mcquiggi@sfu.ca

* [9fans] Tried 9pcdisk with negative results. Output attached.
@ 1998-04-20  5:48 forsyth
From: forsyth @ 1998-04-20  5:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

>>root is from (local, 9600, 19200, il)[local!#H/hd0disk]:
>>user[none]:
>>fs...File system main inconsistent
>>Would you like to ream it (y/n)?     tag=Tnone; expected Tdir

9pcdisk expects a file system in a plan 9 partition `fs' (you'd answer local!#H/hd0fs to
boot's `root from' prompt).  from your messages thus far it wasn't
clear that you'd actually got as far as creating a plan 9 file system partition.

>>between 9dos and 9pcdisk, and tried to do a full install with 9pcdisk in
>>place of 9dos or 9cpu, but (obviopusly) the setup code isn't in the

actually, i'd say it's best to avoid thrashing about too much (eg, trying to use one
kernel instead of another kernel etc) at this point, since it just makes it
more confusing to diagnose.  cunning substitution of one thing for another can work well
during installation (to bypass some stages, or to install over ether from
an existing system), but only once you know how things are put together
and why.  (for instance, the setup or install code isn't in the kernel, it is controlled
by an rc script in the file system.)

in the sequence
        ip/ipconfig -b -m ipmask ipaddr
        ip/arpd -b bcast-addr
two things bother me: unless the -a option is given, ip/ipconfig
starts ip/arpd itself, and that's fine unless you really need to change
the broadcast address from the one the system will calculate;
and in any case ip/arpd command doesn't fork and thus
you'd need an '&' following the command.