* [9fans] Plan9 installation problem
@ 1998-05-03  4:17 jim
From: jim @ 1998-05-03  4:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

it's likely that the disc is too big. there was a sign-extension problem
in the original release limiting its understanding to <2GB ide drives.
if you can't replace with a smaller drive then perhaps we can find someone
out there with a fixed bootstrap programme and kernel to get you under way.

--jim

* Re: [9fans] Plan9 installation problem
@ 2001-12-20 22:32 Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2001-12-20 22:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

for the archives: at some point the contents of
the install floppy got copied to pete's c:\ drive
(hence the using sdC0!dos!plan9.ini message).

the install plan9.ini and a normal boot plan9.ini
differ in important ways (like where root is from
by default, etc.).  we fixed the problem by
renaming c:\plan9.ini to something else so that
the plan9.ini on 9fat gets found.

russ

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 2634 bytes --]

From: Pete Feeney <pete@feeney.co.uk>
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: Re: [9fans] Plan9 installation problem
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2001 14:04:29 GMT

I found that my floppy drive had a head mis-align, so I've fixed that.
The problem now goes as follows.
I have a basic system with no audio, and a NE2000 'compatable' card
a longshine as it happens.
The system is setup with a dos partition which contains the plan9 install file
when running the install I setup a second partition for the plan9
 use the default settings and accept what is suggested.
At the boot option I select the floppy boot option give it a brand new disk.
It then creates the boot floppy then finishs the install after writing the
install process to the install floppy.
I then hard restart the system with the boot floppy and the system stops
with the following error

using sdC0!dos!plan9.ini
error walking to 9pcflop.gz

I then look at the install floppy plan9ini.bak file and it points to
bootfile=sdC0!9fat!9pcdisk

What am I doing wrong please ?

--
Posted from host213-122-248-217.btinternet.com [213.122.248.217]

* Re: [9fans] Plan9 installation problem
@ 2001-12-19 14:04 ` Pete Feeney
From: Pete Feeney @ 2001-12-19 14:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2001-12-18 16:24 Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2001-12-18 16:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pete, 9fans

> (i) when the install has finshed with my install disk I cannot boot from it!

Can you describe exactly what happens when you try?

> (ii) the next problem is that when I try to boot either from a created floppy
> or the harddisk the sytem fails with a '#a' error !

If you mean #A, it's just a warning saying it doesn't
know how to drive your sound card.  That's not cause
for it to hang.

What kind of video card do you have?

What exactly gets printed when you try to boot
from a created floppy or the hard disk?

Russ

* [9fans] Plan9 installation problem
@ 2001-12-18  9:48 Pete Feeney
From: Pete Feeney @ 2001-12-18  9:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I've managed to install the latest Plan9 downloadwhich says it installs fine,
then I have a few problems;
(i) when the install has finshed with my install disk I cannot boot from it!
(ii) the next problem is that when I try to boot either from a created floppy
or the harddisk the sytem fails with a '#a' error !
I'm abit stumped any help please
pete

--
Posted from host62-7-92-134.btinternet.com [62.7.92.134]

* [9fans] Plan9 installation problem
@ 1998-06-29 15:50 Dave
From: Dave @ 1998-06-29 15:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

Somehow your paths that are supposed to look like

/n/c:/plan9

have gotten munged into

/n/c/plan9 and /n/c/cplan9

I'm not quite sure how you managed that.

Date: Mon, 15 Jun 1998 20:58:41 -0300
From: Franklin <dcc.unicamp.br!973930>
To: cse.psu.edu!9fans
Subject: [9fans] Plan9 installation problem
Sender: cse.psu.edu!owner-9fans

We have successfully installed Plan9 from the disk1(downloaded from
ftp://plan9.bell-labs.com/plan9/pcdist) and CD-ROM. Now, I'm trying to
install Plan9 in the same PC and I get the following message in the
creation of plan9 directory in the fiesystem selected (hd1).

Problem Acessing File
File: /n/c/plan9
Errstr: permission denied
Press almost any key to continue

Then, I press any key and get the following message:

Problem Acessing File
File: /n/c/cplan9/rc/bin/cpurc
Errstr: file does not exist
Press almost any key to continue

Then, I press any key and get the following message:

Problem Acessing File
File: /n/c/cplan9/lib/namespace
Errstr: file does not exist
Press almost any key to continue

PS: I deleted the /plan9 directory that was installed in the filesystem
selected..

What did we miss? Any suggestions?

Franklin.

* [9fans] Plan9 installation problem
@ 1998-06-15 23:58 Franklin
From: Franklin @ 1998-06-15 23:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 1998-05-03 14:33 Russ
From: Russ @ 1998-05-03 14:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Protected-mode bootstrap
> hd0: LBA 8248472 sectors, -71237632 bytes
> .bad magic 0xeb29904f not a Plan9 executable!
> Boot devices: hd!0 h!0

More disturbing is the fact that fd!0 is not on your boot
devices line.  Can you try booting into DOS and then type

C:\>a:
A:\>b fd!0!9dos

and see what happens.

If it asks "root is from" tell it "fd!0".

Assuming you haven't installed Plan9 onto your hard disk
yet (you're only on disk 1!) b.com's lack of understanding
about 4GB disks shouldn't matter.

* [9fans] Plan9 installation problem
@ 1998-05-03  4:00 Patrick
From: Patrick @ 1998-05-03  4:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Can anybody help with this problem?

I downloaded disk1 (and disk1.nvd, disk1.orig)
from ftp://plan9.bell-labs.com/plan9/pcdist,
transferred disk1 to a floppy with putimg,
and upon rebooting got the following:

Protected-mode bootstrap
hd0: LBA 8248472 sectors, -71237632 bytes
.bad magic 0xeb29904f not a Plan9 executable!
Boot devices: hd!0 h!0
boot from:

I'm using the following platform:
	Pentium 200 MHz, 32MB