* [9fans] Installing Plan 9
@ 1998-05-03 23:25 ed
From: ed @ 1998-05-03 23:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

Patrick, another option is to try the 4 diskettes prepared by
David Butler at ftp.dbsystems.com/pub/PLAN9/pcdist.  His web
site was down just now, but I was able to ftp there and the
floppy images seem to be there.  David applied all the updates
through Dec 1997 and has support for 3Com 905 also.  His
kernel supports multiple ethernets so as I recall you need
to edit the /rc/bin/termrc file to test for /net/ether0/clone
to configure the ethernet / IP interfaces.

I have used this 4 diskette set and it works fine.  Once when I
couldn't unpack the Lucent diskettes it was able to unpack.  I
know this is not your problem but the updates may have fixed
what ever is bugging you.

This `ether0' versus `ether' stuff breaks some commands but it will
get you up for further testing/debugging.

ed wishart

patrick.e.hacker@tek.com writes:

Can anybody help with this problem?

I downloaded disk1 (and disk1.nvd, disk1.orig)
\afrom ftp://plan9.bell-labs.com/plan9/pcdist,
transferred disk1 to a floppy with putimg,
and upon rebooting got the following:

Protected-mode bootstrap
hd0: LBA 8248472 sectors, -71237632 bytes
.bad magic 0xeb29904f not a Plan9 executable!
Boot devices: hd!0 h!0
boot from:

I'm using the following platform:
        Pentium 200 MHz, 32MB
        1.44 MB floppy
        4 GB IDE HD
        3Com EtherLink III 3C579
        S3 Trio64V+

Any suggestions?

Pat

* [9fans] Installing Plan 9
@ 1998-05-04 12:42 G.David
From: G.David @ 1998-05-04 12:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

>patrick.e.hacker@tek.com writes:
>
>Boot devices: hd!0 h!0

If this was the old b.com then the problem would be

>I'm using the following platform:
>        Pentium 200 MHz, 32MB

because a delay is needed in the floppysend and floppyrcv
routines for faster processors.  Follow Ed's advice using
ftp.dbsystems.com/pub/PLAN9/pcdist and see if it fixes
your problem.

David Butler
gdb@dbSystems.com