* [9fans] u9fs and _conform.map
@ 1998-05-20 14:26 Steve
From: Steve @ 1998-05-20 14:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

I wrote:
> Grab ftp://ftp.ecf.toronto.edu/pub/plan9/steve/fixit
> It will convert the filenames for you.

sorry, that script was for the 1993 release, so it might not work.

* [9fans] u9fs and _conform.map
@ 1998-06-05 13:27 Srinivas.Narendula
From: Srinivas.Narendula @ 1998-06-05 13:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 1998-06-05 13:26 Srinivas.Narendula
From: Srinivas.Narendula @ 1998-06-05 13:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 1998-06-05 13:19 Srinivas.Narendula

From: Srinivas.Narendula @ 1998-06-05 13:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

From: Srinivas.Narendula @ 1998-06-05 13:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 1998-06-05 13:17 Elliott.Hughes
From: Elliott.Hughes @ 1998-06-05 13:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

> I wrote:
> > Grab ftp://ftp.ecf.toronto.edu/pub/plan9/steve/fixit
> > It will convert the filenames for you.
>
> sorry, that script was for the 1993 release, so it might not work.

I'd already used the script someone posted to the list from
memory (it wasn't quite right, but it was close enough).

The Sun in question now boots happily off the network, and
I made it a new kernel as per the instructions in the Plan 9
FAQ, and (I think) I set up a kfs on one of its discs, but if I
boot the new kernel from the net I get "file not found" or
something similar when it's starting up. I couldn't work out
how to make a bootable disc. (I tried copying the kernel to
the boot partition, but that didn't seem to work. Solaris just
complains of a bad disc label when it starts [from another
disc] and no PROM incantation i could come up with would
make it boot from disc.)

Bum.

--
http://users.ch.genedata.com/~enh/

* [9fans] u9fs and _conform.map
@ 1998-06-05 13:12 Srinivas.Narendula

From: Srinivas.Narendula @ 1998-06-05 13:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 1998-06-05 13:07 Srinivas.Narendula
From: Srinivas.Narendula @ 1998-06-05 13:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

From: Srinivas.Narendula @ 1998-06-05 13:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 1998-05-20 15:55 Elliott.Hughes
From: Elliott.Hughes @ 1998-05-20 15:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

> I had a similar problem a couple months ago and solved
> it with disk space.

Thanks (to everyone else, too). Now I'm off to "create a
kfs on sd1". I wish I'd got into this when forsyth was a
two-minute walk away! [Logging in to Plan 9 as none
this afternoon made me quite nostalgic.]

--

@ 1998-05-20 14:02 Steve
From: Steve @ 1998-05-20 14:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 1998-05-20 12:45 Russ
From: Russ @ 1998-05-20 12:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

I had a similar problem a couple months ago and solved
it with disk space.  I copied the entire CD onto a Unix
disk and then did something approximately:

	cat _conform.map | sed 's/^F/f/g;s/^D/d/g' | sort > $HOME/conform.map

	% cat $HOME/fix
	#!/bin/sh

	for i in *
	do
		if test -d $i
			(cd $i; $HOME/fix)
	done

	for i in d00* f00*
	do
		x=`look $i $HOME/conform.map`
		mv $i $x
	done
	% cd $HOME/plan9cd
	% $HOME/fix

which worked pretty well.  A warning: I just
typed that shell script on the fly while writing this
message.  I can't find the one I used when I did it,
but that conveys the basic gist.

* [9fans] u9fs and _conform.map
@ 1998-05-20  9:53 Elliott.Hughes
From: Elliott.Hughes @ 1998-05-20  9:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

Has anyone altered u9fs to use _conform.map? I want to boot a
Sun (an IPC: there seem to be a lot of them about all of a sudden!)
from a Unix machine, at least until I get the Sun's disc sorted
for Plan 9.

If not, I suppose I could get the mangled names onto the Sun's
disc and then go through the filesystem correcting them after
the fact.

Comments?

--
http://users.ch.genedata.com/~enh/