* [9fans] libretto?
@ 1998-05-21 20:07 Digby
From: Digby @ 1998-05-21 20:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

Just wondering if anyone has looked at the feasibility of running
Plan9 on a libretto?

Regards,
DigbyT
--
Digby R. S. Tarvin                                              digbyt@acm.org
http://www.cthulhu.dircon.co.uk

* [9fans] libretto?
@ 1998-09-07  1:20 Digby
From: Digby @ 1998-09-07  1:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

>If you mean the 3C562 and not the 563 (is there a 563?),
>then yes, I've gotten Plan 9 working using that card.
>It required a small change to the devi82365.c PCMCIA driver
>to get it going -- the changes to the ether source were
>minimal.  (I think just one line that said "strcmp(type, "3C562")==0").

Yep - mine says it is a 3C563D.

Looking at,
	http://www.3com.com/3sn/catalog/pccards-lanmod.html

The only difference seems to be that the 562 is "+ 33.6 Modem",
and 563 is "+ 33.6 Global Modem", so presumably the 563
is the international model.

Hopefully that means the 563 will work too.

How recent is the devi82365.c PCMCIA driver you used, and where
do I get it?

Thanks,
DigbyT
--

@ 1998-09-06 22:21 Russ
From: Russ @ 1998-09-06 22:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 1998-09-06 14:44 Digby
From: Digby @ 1998-09-06 14:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

>I was using a 3C589, the new ethernet drivers from David Butler,
>and the built-in mouse.

Does anyone know if thiss driver will work with the 563D combo
card?

I just installed Unix using a 589 driver with a 563 card, and only
had to /etc/pccard.conf to associate the driver with the ID the
card returns. Can I do something similar with Plan9?

Also, Libretto requires 64K left unused at the end of the disk,
which the BIOS uses for saving memory contents when it hibernates.
This is normally handled by just leaving a 64K gap after the
last fdisk partition. As Plan9's PC disk driver uses the space
after the partition table, is there a way to tell it to stop
before the end of the physical disk?

Regards,
DigbyT
--

@ 1998-08-01 15:39 Russ
From: Russ @ 1998-08-01 15:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

> From cse.psu.edu!owner-9fans Thu May 21 16:11:02 EDT 1998
> Subject: [9fans] libretto?
> From: Digby Tarvin <acm.org!digbyt>
>
> Just wondering if anyone has looked at the feasibility of running
> Plan9 on a libretto?

I just booted Plan 9 over the network on a Libretto 50CT and
it seemed to work just fine.  I could only do 640x480x1 -- it's
some sort of C&T chipset, but I couldn't glean what it was (the
new C&T chips seem to map their memory into PCI space, which
aux/vga can't look at easily), and I didn't feel like experimenting
as the Libretto wasn't mine.  If anyone knows, I'd be interested
in hearing.

I was using a 3C589, the new ethernet drivers from David Butler,
and the built-in mouse.

Russ