* [9fans] (offtopic) Unix manual 10th Edition
@ 1998-06-17  8:00 Andrew
From: Andrew @ 1998-06-17  8:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

This may not be the right place for my question, but our news access has
been very flakey lately and I guess there must be a number of 9fans
readers (esp. those at AT&T/Bell Labs/Lucent) who may be able to help.

I am looking for information about the last of the old Unix editions, ie.
8th, 9th and 10th Edition. There are a few papers around in various
journals, but I want something more along the lines of the actual manuals.

The 7th Edition Manual is available on the net, though I have yet to find
versions of troff/tbl/eqn that don't barf on some part of it.
I guess previous versions are covered by SCO's "Ancient Unix Source Code"
license, but what about Unix after 7th Edition? Who owns the copyright?
Hardly any information on these editions seems available to the normal
human being.

According to BYTE Magazine the 10th Edition Manual was published
commercially in 1990, but I have seen other references saying it was never
published.

Any (ex) Bell Labs guys now the real story? Is there any way I can get
hold of the 10th Edition Manual (paper or electrons)?

Cheers,
Andrew.

| Andrew Lynch, MEng (York) /  lynch@CCI.DE | Run, run, as fast as you  |
| CCI GmbH                 / alynch@iee.org | can. You can't catch me,  |
| Lohberg 10              /  lyncha@acm.org | I'm the gingerbeard man!  |
| D-49716 Meppen  /  Tel. ++49 5931 805-243 |       .sig by Anna Gramme |

* [9fans] (offtopic) Unix manual 10th Edition
@ 1998-06-17 15:04 Tom
From: Tom @ 1998-06-17 15:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

> According to BYTE Magazine the 10th Edition Manual was published
> commercially in 1990, but I have seen other references saying it was never
> published.
>
> Any (ex) Bell Labs guys now the real story? Is there any way I can get
> hold of the 10th Edition Manual (paper or electrons)?

The 10th edition manual was published by Saunders.  Amazon claims to have
it.  The URLs for the two volumes are
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0030475325/002-2922597-6452007
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0030475295/002-2922597-6452007
Amazon says `ships in 2-3 days.'  My experience with them is that they
often think that they can get (obscure, oldish) books that are, in fact,
out of print.

--
Tom Duff, KF6LWB.  $2.98/min AE/V/MC.

* [9fans] (offtopic) Unix manual 10th Edition
@ 1998-06-17 13:20 Digby
From: Digby @ 1998-06-17 13:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

>I'm not from Bell Labs (I don't even play Rob Pike on TV  (-: ), but I bought
>my 10th Edition manuals at a regular computer bookstore, oh those many years
>ago.
>
>They're called "UNIX Research System  Tenth Edition  Volume I (and II)".
>
>Volume I (purple) is "Programmer's Manual" and Volume II (green) is "Papers".
>
>They were published in 1990 by Saunders College Publishing.
>
>The ISBN numbers (if it helps you track 'em down) are
>
>ISBN 0-03-047532-5 (Volume I)
>ISBN 0-03-047529-5 (Volume II)
>
>(They make a nice set with my V7 building blocks manuals and Lions book.  (-:
>)

Amazon has them listed as 2-3 day availability.

Regards,
DigbyT
--
Digby R. S. Tarvin                                              digbyt@acm.org
http://www.cthulhu.dircon.co.uk

* [9fans] (offtopic) Unix manual 10th Edition
@ 1998-06-17 12:14 Greg
From: Greg @ 1998-06-17 12:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

> I am looking for information about the last of the old Unix editions, ie.
> 8th, 9th and 10th Edition.  There are a few papers around in various
> journals, but I want something more along the lines of the actual manuals.
>
> [...]
>
> According to BYTE Magazine the 10th Edition Manual was published
> commercially in 1990, but I have seen other references saying it was never
> published.
>
> Any (ex) Bell Labs guys now the real story?  Is there any way I can get
> hold of the 10th Edition Manual (paper or electrons)?

I'm not from Bell Labs (I don't even play Rob Pike on TV  (-: ), but I bought
my 10th Edition manuals at a regular computer bookstore, oh those many years
ago.

They're called "UNIX Research System  Tenth Edition  Volume I (and II)".

Volume I (purple) is "Programmer's Manual" and Volume II (green) is "Papers".

They were published in 1990 by Saunders College Publishing.

The ISBN numbers (if it helps you track 'em down) are

ISBN 0-03-047532-5 (Volume I)
ISBN 0-03-047529-5 (Volume II)

(They make a nice set with my V7 building blocks manuals and Lions book.  (-:
)

#include <std.disclaimer.about.how.I.won't.part.with.mine.'til.you.pry.etc.>

HTH,

	- Greg the lurker