* [9fans] Diamond Stealth 3D 2000 PCI (S3/Virge)
@ 1998-07-06  9:03 forsyth
From: forsyth @ 1998-07-06  9:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

>>I was convinced I had an up to date copy of "vgadb" but I certainly
>>don't have any S3/Virge support in any copy I've found.

here is the vgadb entry i use with two variants of virge-based chips:

ctlr
	0xC0043="Stealth 3D 3000"		# Diamond Stealth 3D 3000/3400
	0xC004B="S3 Virge/DX"			# Video Excel
	link=vga
	hwgc=s3hwgc
	ctlr=virge linear=1

if your aux/vga source hasn't got a file virge.c, you need to
fetch a more recent aux/vga boddle.

* [9fans] Diamond Stealth 3D 2000 PCI (S3/Virge)
@ 1998-07-07 17:45 Lucio
From: Lucio @ 1998-07-07 17:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

BINGO!

According to forsyth@caldo.demon.co.uk :

> i ought to have checked more carefully.
> i'd added another device code to virge.c:

Thank you for taking the trouble, much appreciated.

Lucio.

* [9fans] Diamond Stealth 3D 2000 PCI (S3/Virge)
@ 1998-07-07  8:11 forsyth
From: forsyth @ 1998-07-07  8:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

>>I tried this with minor adjustments, but the results were
>>disappointing: the screen flashed briefly a narrow band, over the text

i ought to have checked more carefully.
i'd added another device code to virge.c:

cpu% diff /n/dump/1998/0328/sys/src/cmd/aux/vga/virge.c virge.c
43a44
> 	case 0xE101:				/* ViRGE/DX */
119a121
> 	case 0xE101:				/* ViRGE */
131c133
< 		if(vga->mode->x > 800 && vga->mode->z == 8)
---
> 		if(vga->mode->z == 8)

you should also check that your /sys/src/9/pc/devvga.c and
/sys/src/9/pc/vgas3.c know about linear mode,
otherwise you might be better without the linear=1

* [9fans] Diamond Stealth 3D 2000 PCI (S3/Virge)
@ 1998-07-07  5:01 Scott
From: Scott @ 1998-07-07  5:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

At usenix, Jim and I spoke briefly about vga hell.
One idea he mentioned was to use the VESA bios calls
to set the graphis mode very early in the boot process,
while the system is still in real mode.  That's an
appealing idea, if it could be done.

* [9fans] Diamond Stealth 3D 2000 PCI (S3/Virge)
@ 1998-07-07  4:49 Lucio
From: Lucio @ 1998-07-07  4:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

According to forsyth@caldo.demon.co.uk :

> here is the vgadb entry i use with two variants of virge-based chips:
>
> ctlr
> 	0xC0043="Stealth 3D 3000"		# Diamond Stealth 3D 3000/3400
> 	0xC004B="S3 Virge/DX"			# Video Excel
> 	link=vga
> 	hwgc=s3hwgc
> 	ctlr=virge linear=1

I tried this with minor adjustments, but the results were
disappointing: the screen flashed briefly a narrow band, over the text
screen, then left the text screen unchanged.  Mouse and keyboard were
still functional, but of course I could see only diagnostic messages.

> if your aux/vga source hasn't got a file virge.c, you need to
> fetch a more recent aux/vga boddle.

I'm now as up to date, VGA-wise, as the Lucent server permits :-) but
without much joy.  The board has only the S3 ViRGE/DX chip, EPROM and
2Meg of RAM on it, with sockets for an additional 2Meg.  Has anyone
gotten such a thing to work?

The board operates nicely under XFree86 3.3.2.

Thanks, all.

++L

* [9fans] Diamond Stealth 3D 2000 PCI (S3/Virge)
@ 1998-07-06  4:30 Lucio
From: Lucio @ 1998-07-06  4:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

I was convinced I had an up to date copy of "vgadb" but I certainly
don't have any S3/Virge support in any copy I've found.

I'm also having trouble trying to fetch

	//plan9.bell-labs.com/plan9/pcdist/disk1

which seems to hang around 130kbytes.

Is there some other place I can find an entry for the Diamond Stealth
card (I have my doubts that I would be able to concoct my own, even
though I have the XFree86 source to work from :-)?

++L